This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.10's
"impished" Wrote:Also, it'll be my 1st ride for years on flats :o  I grabbed the (ancient but still perfect) "Club Roost" 2D's off my Marin just to try a bit of flat pedalling again.  Trouble is, last time I used them they kept biting me. :'(

There WILL be blood :Smile
I'm giving flats a go again too, so we'll be bleeding togather! I'm almost tempted to wear my Troy Lee pads :Smile  I might get some 5/10's soon if i can afford it before Afan.
Try all your shoes. I only have 1 pair out of about 5 that grip at all on my V8's, the rest I may as well have small ice rinks for pedals. When you have suitable shoes though flats are fine and should make you a lot quicker on the downhill bits that don't need a lot of pedalling, far easier sliding around 1 foot out as well without faffing to clip back in on the straights. The only thing I dont like is that my spd shoes are really solid at the front so its ok to nudge stumps etc but I once hit a stump with normal trainers on and  :'( :'(
"Breezer" Wrote:Try all your shoes. I only have 1 pair out of about 5 that grip at all on my V8's, the rest I may as well have small ice rinks for pedals. When you have suitable shoes though flats are fine and should make you a lot quicker on the downhill bits that don't need a lot of pedalling, far easier sliding around 1 foot out as well without faffing to clip back in on the straights. The only thing I dont like is that my spd shoes are really solid at the front so its ok to nudge stumps etc but I once hit a stump with normal trainers on and  :'( :'(
I'v done that and cracked my big toe nail right down the middle :o Really hurt for weeks!  Do 5/10's have a hard toe box?

I was given a pair of brand new Reebok classic's which normally i wouldn't be seen dead in, so will give them a go. Unfortunately all my other shoes are walking shoes and have hard soles, so not ideal. I might try and get some longer pins, but that'll only do more damage to my shins.
"Legless" Wrote:So is everyone realising flats are the way forward?

You cant convert me Im afraid, love my SPD's.

I even wear them down the Disco, dancing to all that New Wave Jazz the kids are into lately...  Wink
"Legless" Wrote:Oooh new light fella, what did you get? So is everyone realising flats are the way forward?
Not sure yet. The plan is to stick with SPD's for longer rides with Kent Trails etc and flats for the sketchy stuff, especially jumps and drop off's.  
"impished" Wrote:Oh, and did I mention the 5.10's  Wink

Well what did you think of them??
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:Well what did you think of them??
Without wanting to wander too far off topic Wink, they are one of the few products that live up to the hype. :o
The grip really IS epic, the fit is perfect, the toe-box solid (as I found out a couple of times:B), and, IMHO, they look good too.
Well worth £75
How did you find them size wise compared to your "normal" size? ie some spd shoes come up really small.
"impished" Wrote:Without wanting to wander too far off topic Wink, they are one of the few products that live up to the hype. :o
The grip really IS epic, the fit is perfect, the toe-box solid (as I found out a couple of times:B), and, IMHO, they look good too.
Well worth £75

£70...  You still owe me a fiver remember Wink
"Breezer" Wrote:How did you find them size wise compared to your "normal" size? ie some spd shoes come up really small.
I'm a 44 and they fit luverly...