This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air or Coil shock and fork ?
ok im now browsing the selection of forks and shocks avaliable (not looking to buy for a while though) and wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of both coil and air

as anyone who has seen me has seen im quite big :B and tall thus meaning i weigh alot, i ride XC but also do some medium sized dirt jumps Undecided so whats going to suit me best?
For XC air's would be better because they weigh less.. But how much less depends obvioiusly.

And for DJ coil's are the obvious choice.. It's a case of what are you gonna do more..
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
get coils, they are tougher if you are hard on the bike and the extra weight is not gonna be a massive issue. if you dirt jump a air shock and knacker it, then you will feel like a plum as you knew it was gonna happen. If you xc ride a coil you might get a bit more tired, but it will last forever and you still have the opportunity to jump about like a crazy mofo. choose wisely...
Keep it foolish...
If you DJ get a fork thats designed for it, irrelevant if air/coil to some degree, if you DJ with xc forks, Rebas or whatever then dont be surprised when you snap them
I assume you are just asking about forks, as if you are looking into a coil rear shock you will be very limited on choice for your bike. Most decent coil shocks are designed for DH and FR bikes and so have quite a long stroke, probably too long for yours. I could be wrong though so have a look on the fox webby. I think the DHX 3 is only around £200 and if they do one that fits then it could be worth a punt.  As for forks, get some second hand coil Pikes. Can do pretty much anything on them. But from what i'v heard you need to put your bike on a diet first. How much dose it weigh?
"Treehugger" Wrote:I assume you are just asking about forks, as if you are looking into a coil rear shock you will be very limited on choice for your bike. Most decent coil shocks are designed for DH and FR bikes and so have quite a long stroke, probably too long for yours. I could be wrong though so have a look on the fox webby. I think the DHX 3 is only around £200 and if they do one that fits then it could be worth a punt.  As for forks, get some second hand coil Pikes. Can do pretty much anything on them. But from what i'v heard you need to put your bike on a diet first. How much dose it weigh?

bike weighs i would guess about 36-378lbs maybe a bit lighter with the new wheels.  The forks on there are supposed to weigh a ton with some websites saying around 3000g and ive seen some massive forks weighing less then that  Undecided

i want to do this bike right this time really, no cheaping out on parts (que  "yeh but you cheaped out on the frame") so if pikes are worth it i will have a look around on singletrackworld or even see the prices new(havent they skyrocketed?), will be looking to buy the forks in a few months and then again a new rear shock after that

as for travel its got 140mm travel (i think thats 5.5 inches ?), What is going to be an effective weigh to lose weight on my bike?, its standard as per website but with sun single track rims on deore hubs
If its any use, I went for Airs and Im on the wrong side of Large.

I dont do any mental chucking about, only a few times a year planned for Afan etc...

If you're concerned about weight, then Air is the way to go as they are lighter...

I was concerned about weight as Im transfering to FS so it made no sense to me to buy a heavier fork than I needed.

Air's to seem to be slightly more expensive but are greatly adjustable, from my "limited" knowledge on Coils you can change the spring depending on your riding requirements, but that involves stripping the fork I do believe.
Oh Steve you're never happy are you? Wink

I wouldn't worry about your rear shock.  Presumably its doing the job OK as you seem to love your bike - its a pointless upgrade IMHO.

To lose weight you should be looking at wheels (already upgraded - great!), tyres / tubes and forks for the most noticeable difference.  Other things like cassette, chain and chainset are good places to save weight but aren't really worth upgrading until the originals are worn out.  Finishing kit such as bars/stem, saddle, seatpost can all make a difference if you have heavy ones on at the moment but you tend to spend a fair amount for less dramatic weight saving.  I can't remember how much weight i saved with my bars when i bought them but the bar and stem retail at over £200.  I got a decent price so at the time it was worth it, likewise with my seatpost which is well over £100 now and probably saved me a ounce or two

If you're really worried about weight saving, get some scales and weigh your existing parts.  Look for good value upgrades, check their claimed weights and also compare with the weight weenies website.  Then divide the cost of the upgrade by the weight saving to work out a cost per gram of weight you save.  Simple!
ok cheers for the input guys...

as for your comment nick  Big Grin ive just realized in a year or two ill be started (hopefully!) one of the most money sucking experiences in life ... University  Big Grin so im going to spend and upgrade now whilst i still have the money and whilst i dont have to pay bills and rent etc so i have a great bike for 3 years at uni come out get into a well paid I.T job and then buy one of these Tongue

the current shock right now is alright performs well its just would be nice to have the benifits of some of the higher end ones like pro pedal and lockout Undecided

after looking into them abit more maybe im looking for more a trail/AM fork burly enough for the downhill but still can be pedalled back up the hill, this months mtbuk have had a review of them and rate the fox 32 vanilla R well, weighs 1916g and costing £319 so a massive saving on my current ones, and the fox float qr15 RLC (would mean new hub though) at £589 weighing 1832g, views please?
You forget that you will have 10-15k debt when you leave uni  Smile