This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIKEHUT IS NO MORE!!!
Read here.  Halfords are closing/rebranding their Bikehut stores :o  About time too, some would say Wink

What do we all think?
Doesnt bother me too much as I have never been to one and probably never would as to me they would still be staffed by Halfords people and be overpriced. Hopefully this at least means that the bigger Halfords stores like Bexhill will now start stocking the decent Boardman FS bikes which they dont currently.
It is a mistake to consider standalone Bikehuts to be the same as the bikehut departments within halfords stores.
I spoke with the Brighton Bikehut and they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
I then bought my Boardman at the Dorking Bikehut where the staff were also great and clearly passionate cyclists. My bike was perfectly built and set up, and still is despite my best efforts to destroy it.
Tellingly the standalone Bikehut staff were very aware of the low reputation of Halfords staff, and seemed genuinely hurt that they were tarred with the same brush.
And the standalone Bikehuts stock a fantastic selection of bikes and kit. I saw Hope kit, XT/X9 drivetrain spares, shed loads of clothing & tons of decent tyres being some examples you dont get at Halfords. And no £99 specials!
This is therefore a bad thing,especially for real cyclists who work for companies who use the Halfords Cycle2Work scheme.
Agreed, although i doubt i'd shop there myself these days.  I went to the Dorking one when it opened and didn't even realise it was associated with Halfords.  I even got a free bottle of bike cleaner for being one of their first customers  8)
A loss of anything that promotes cycling is a shame.
Goes to prove that the internet is proving a big contributing factor to high st stores closing.

Agree with Buzz though, there "could" be less new riders taking up the sport/hobby if bikes are not accessable at a reasonable prices point (bad bike or not)

Watch this space though for various supermarket chains to start jumping on a bandwagon.
so lets get this right, just the independent stores are closing... but they are keeping the bike sections linked to the big ones open, phew my impulse buys will still be fine then  Tongue

i honestly cant see why they would close the bike sections, i remember them stating a few months back that sales were at a high and they was going to open up more bikehut only stores Undecided
I am hoping Boardman will sort out other outlets where I can talk about bikes and pieces of paper addorned with the queen's head... many of the normal Hlafords mob are just useless.
I went to my parents at lunch as their food is substantially cheaper than mine and they had a week old paper which I read for some reason. In the financial section was an article on how Halfords had made a larger profit last year than the year before and how a lot of this was due to the CTW scheme and bike sales etc and yet now they are shutting down these stores?
The day after this thread was started the daily mirror business section had an article about halfords making loadsaprofit from bike division and they are the largest bike supplier in the uk.

Something doesn't to g true, unless bikehut is a completly seperate business under the halfords umbrella.

Either way, still pretty much useless for anyone above intermediate in riding prowess