This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Build
I thought I would resurrect this thread from the old site as there was some interest in it.

I am building a bike for a forum member and thought I would document it here. This will be a communting/road/touring hybrid type frame. Here is what you start out with.

resim

This is a Columbus Zona tubeset. Zona are high end double butted tubes used for light but strong road and mountain bike frames.

Right so on with the building. First job is to set up the frame jig. This is possible the worlds most tedious job. It literally takes hours unless you have a fancy (and very expensive) professional jig. Since I use a home made jig made from extruded aluminium a few hours of tweaking it was.

First a baseline is set. In this case it is the bottom rail of the jig.

resim

From this all the frame angles are set. One the angles are roughed in the jig spacing needs to be adjusted to get the correct tube lengths. This is done on the diagonal and for each individual tube. Luckily all these values are calculated within the design software.

resim

As the jig allows for fine adjustment of the tubes when installed the final angles are set with the head tube and seat tube in place. Here the head tube angle is 72deg.

resim

Seat tube is 72.5 deg.

resim

Now the fun part can begin. Cutting and coping the tubes. I haven't got any photos of this but the process is:- enter data into the coping calculator, print off templates, stick to tubes at correct distance, rough cut with cutting disc in a dremel, final fitting using a sanding drum on the dremel.

Once complete you end up with a series of tubes which fit together and look roughly like a bike.

resim

Now the most important step. Make sure the bottom bracket is on the correct way around so you don't weld it on back to front again! The left hand thread goes on the drive side.

As far as the main frame goes that is as far as I have got. Next step will be welding. I have been sorting a few details on the frame today. In particular the frame owner wanted a rear view mirror adding. The one he supplied comes with a plastic bracket that cable ties onto the downtube/headtube junction and to be frank look pretty sh*t

resim

There had to be a better way. I turned down and threaded a sleeve that fits into the down tube. This will be welded in and ground smooth with the outer diameter of the tube. Here it is test fitted.

resim

I then turned a brass spacer on the lathe to which will screw into the sleeve and to which the mirror will be secured. I also turned a small curved washer which is contoured to the tube and will allow the spacer to sit flush.

resim

resim

resim

resim

This should provide a fairly elegant solution and the mirror can be fitted to whichever side of the frame the rider wishes.

Sorry for the long post but this summarises the old thread and the progress over the last week or so.
WOW!

Loving the complexity of such a seemingly simple bunch of tubes.

Look forward to the next installment
Nice, great to see it slowly coming together
Keep it foolish...
Thanks for post this, loving the thinking for the rear mirror.
Are you building this in much the same way as the one you did for yourself? Or is there any changes from "wish I did" or I'm taking it this is a commuting ride, that makes it different?
"LIKE"!!!
Jon,
I've just stumbled on this post, frame is looking great, really like the neat detail of the rear mirror mount!
Keep me posted as the build progresses..

Andy.
Right, things are moving pretty slowly on this at the moment. Since taking on this build I have bought my first house and moved, completed a degree, had our first child and changed career. In hindsight I probably should have got some of this out of the way first! Thankfully Lotusandy is a top bloke and isnt giving me any hassle about the delays yet. Cheers Andy!

Anyway, I have completed the welding on the front triangle and am going to bend the seatstays this week.

Once I find the cable for my phone I will post up some pics.
Anyone know how this turned out in the end?