This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bikes?
Hi,

23 years old, currently ride a motorbike but putting it up for sale as I hardly ride it anymore. So I am looking for a cheap bike but don't know where to start. The bike will be used for a little bit of commuting on the road - couple of miles a day but ideally want the bike for some off road fun at the weekends. Have no idea about bikes so open to suggestions. What will be best to do both road and off road - full suspension or hardtail? I am starting off cheap to get used to it and make sure I enjoy it and then work my way up to a more expensive bike in the future

So yeah errmm help
Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.  Nice forum name by the way - its to the point!!

If you're going cheap then definitely, without question get a hardtail.  What is your budget?  That way we can narrow down the advice we can offer before we get too carried away!!
Welcome Alan,

Nice to see another Sittingbourne-er Wink

Do you work for a company that's willing to run a Bike2Work scheme?  If so that does open-up a whole new range of options
Hey,

My budget is tight so around 200, maybe 300 max I would say for the time being (I know I am going to get a fairly rubbish bike for that price, with poor components no doubt, but everyone has to start somewhere)

Unfortunatly my work does not, but I may try and convience them that its a good idea, at least then I could get a better quality bike!
My first advice to anyone "on a budget" is to not go any lower than £200.

Anything less than this figure will be either:

A: Weigh a metric tonne

B: Fall apart within a week.

You want to go for a lightweight hardtail bike which has a proven pedigree of a name, Giant, GT, Marin etc.

As you will currently be commuting more, WEIGHT is the issue IMHO.

But, we cannot go much further until you can point us in the direction of Budget.

And as Impished said, if your employer can accomodate you with the Cycle 2 Work Scheme - then your budget roughly doubles(!!!) as you dont pay tax or VAT on it and your cash goes further.
(Thats a rough outline, but its a little bit more complicated than that)

Welcome to the ever expensive and addictive world of biking, dont be afraid to ask ANY question (apart from what Im wearing or anything pervy!  ??) )
For that kind of price range i would search E-bay as you could get a little gem from there. Hardtail all the way, its the best place to learn Skills and less maintenance,unless your name is Andy who has a F1 pit crew follow him around  Smile
what sort of names should I be looking out for whilst searching? I am actually pretty excited about getting one as I have wanted to get into it for ages but never got round to doing it!!
"Alan" Wrote:Hey,

My budget is tight so around 200, maybe 300 max I would say for the time being (I know I am going to get a fairly rubbish bike for that price, with poor components no doubt, but everyone has to start somewhere)

Unfortunatly my work does not, but I may try and convience them that its a good idea, at least then I could get a better quality bike!

£200-£300 is a nice budget for a starter bike.
Being a bit of a Giant brand fan myself, you couldnt go wrong with looking here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s2p0&tbv=GIANT_BIKES_Mountain_Bikes_-_Front_Suspension">http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension</a><!-- m -->

I quite like the Giant Yukon, nice frame, upgradable for the future and in your budget.

For this budget range you will be getting front suspension and disc brakes (maybe not hydraulic brakes)
If you are planning off-roading, then Disc brakes is what you need.

Dont buy a 2009 bike, not worth it, try and find a 2007/08 bike as they will be cheaper, with pretty much the same bits on, or as Deadpool says, try Ebay for a bargain.

If you can, try and find some bikes by Giant or GT which are in your budget, they pretty much offer the best Hardtails in this price bracket.  

Ive been riding a 2006 Giant hardtrail from new and its been fantastic for road riding and also chucking down the site of a mountain in Wales.
&quot;Alan&quot; Wrote:what sort of names should I be looking out for whilst searching? I am actually pretty excited about getting one as I have wanted to get into it for ages but never got round to doing it!!

look for named brands if possible such as Giant, Specialized, GT, as they all have a good framework of dealers and tend to be able to spec better parts for the money.
Get down to The Bike Warehouse in Faversham... IIRC, they do Giants there.  And they've got a good range of sensibly priced bike.

Remember!  Don't be talked into rasing your budget or buying extra bits unless you're absolutely sure you need/want them.  There's a lot of pointles/costly upgrades you can buy for a bike, and if a salesman notices you're not too clued up on whats-what, you might as well give him your wallet  :o    If you're not sure what an up-down-reverse-sprocket-self-disengaging-flange[sup]*[/sup] is... ask us Wink

[sup]*[/sup]I might of made up the bit about the "up-down-reverse-sprocket-self-disengaging-flange"