This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Rotr Compatability
I am moving slowly into the world of disc brakes. Believe it or not I have happily used rim brakes until recently. However I was wondering if disc rotors are sideways compatible...i.e. could i sling wheels fitted with Shimano rotors on a bike fitted with Avid bakes, for example?
As my quite limited knowledge serves me, as long as the rotor size and rotor face is compatible with the brake/pad in question, then you should be OK.

The rotor face should be the same size as the pad surface for optimum braking, any smaller then you would risk bad braking and poor pad wear.

Rotors are cheap anyway, so you could always swap them out to something more compatible to your brake.
I have hayes rotors on shimao brakes and they work fine. Avid are very simillar to hayes so i would have thought you would be fine.