This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brakes - Cable DB Caliper suggestions
The budget brakes on my HR are finally dead.. The disks are shit so they'll replaced too.

I have some almost new BB5's sitting here, but I'm hearing some bad things about them so am gonna sell them on before I even fit them.
I'm after something like my old knackered calipers, Shimano MT75 type things, which were cable.

I can only find hydraulic ones and that sort of power is un-needed, but if I have to have them I will.

So, suggestions anyone?
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
I had Hayes MX something cable discs on my old old giant and they were good enough.
I heard rumour the BB5 is the best cable disk brake you're likely to find - i think it was Supersonic on BR who said that but i'm not sure...
You can never have too much braking power and you dont need to use it all? New Deore's are £100 a pair or there abouts, decent cable ones wont save you much plus not as much power, modulation, need more on going maintenance etc
Hmm, depends on the overall price really. I'm fine with spending a decent amount for a decent pair, not like the shite I have on atm..

The BB5's are apparently good, but I've heard more of 'they're the worst' as a pose to 'they're the best'.
Del had them on the BBH ride we done last month.. I asked him what he thought of them and lets just say even I struggle to swear that much...

Trouble with Hydro's too is cable routing, as the HR is set up for cable only. And also the bike is used for going everywhere.. So it's left at college, work, town.. It's been nicked enough times already so I try not to have anything of major value on it, or anything that makes it more appealing. Though I do trust my lock..
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Del's bb5's though he was dismissive of them as they are not hydro and he wants hydro, are actually pretty good. They are progressive feeling and do not have the on / off feel of my cheapo cable discs on my hardtail. i'd heard that bb5s were both decent and cheapish. I'd either upgrade to hydro, but as you say that is not an option then stick with your decent cables. don't lash out loads of cash on something that will only be a minor improvement.
Keep it foolish...
I just want ones that work.... Because atm.. I have.. Nothing..

Have to do my homework and sort it out Sunday when I'm around.