This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car insurance for the young
So I'm looking around to insure my son on his 998cc Corsa... To say the least its not cheap but some just take the piss.... Be Wise Insurance wanted £36,000.....yep thats thousand

The cheapest was a company called MyPolicy which seems reasonable until you read the T & C's. In there they advise they have the right to impose fines for bad driving (telemetrics unit fitted) which is fair enough but you don't get a lot of control over some of the conditions, ie they types of road you drive down & if heavens forbid you go over your guessimated mileage the penalities are high. Knowing my son has to drive down lanes to get to work. "If" they deem they are high risk because he need to drive them at peak times & he uses them more than twice every 30 days they impose a £100 fine every 30 days.... no wonder there are a lot of un-unsured drivers around.
My first policy was north of £2k but you just have to suck it up. MrsSponges brother had a telemetry box but it was useless for exactly the reasons you state about commuting to work. After year 1 it drops pretty significantly if he can keep it out of a hedge.
Insuring young drivers is expensive, but for good reason. They are more likely to have claims, cause injuries and generally tit about.

The secret to keeping the cost down is buying a sensible car (which you've done) , shopping around and not having any accidents in the first year. The telematic deals are good, though I'd not heard of them being so strict as you describe. Some are just based on mileage.

Use the online search engines to find the best deals. Cashback through quidco and the like might be handy too given the size of premiums.

The 36k quote was just a way of saying "no thanks" without saying "no thanks". Weird, but quite normal in the strange world of insurance.
This will be his second year of car insurance...dropped a bit from last year but not greatly
Have you tried co-op? They seem to be fairly consistent and not utter shysters.
Keep it foolish...
Is Steve still on here? He's done all this recently, and is now driving a car that's lower than a snake's belly
Keep it foolish...
Laggingbehind Wrote:This will be his second year of car insurance...dropped a bit from last year but not greatly

After 1 year he should have his first year of No Claims Bonus, which equates roughly to 30%. So you should theoretically ree a decent drop, though not necessarily from the current Insurer.

This is a great guide and also explains how to use the comparison sites properly.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-ins...ng-drivers

I didn't think about a multi car policy. Look into that as you can still have different individual policy holders for each car. We use Admiral for our multi car policy but there are other providers.
Try getting quotes with a second driver on his policy. I used to be on my sister's insurance, it reduced it quite a bit and I didn't drive the car once and lived 400 miles from her.
Keep it foolish...
Blackers Wrote:
Laggingbehind Wrote:This will be his second year of car insurance...dropped a bit from last year but not greatly

After 1 year he should have his first year of No Claims Bonus, which equates roughly to 30%. So you should theoretically ree a decent drop, though not necessarily from the current Insurer.

This is a great guide and also explains how to use the comparison sites properly.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-ins...ng-drivers

I didn't think about a multi car policy. Look into that as you can still have different individual policy holders for each car. We use Admiral for our multi car policy but there are other providers.

Thanks mate I'll have a look-see
alkali Wrote:Try getting quotes with a second driver on his policy. I used to be on my sister's insurance, it reduced it quite a bit and I didn't drive the car once and lived 400 miles from her.

Yeah, myself & Mrs Lagging both on his policy which drops it nearly £400