This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Skip
I just fitted a new mech hanger and a new chain.  The chain was same make as the old one and I split it the same length.
Only problem is I get loads'a chain skip but only on 1 or 2 gears.  Only the middle 2 gears seem to skip.  All other gears are rock solid and I can put full beans through the cranks with zero skip.

Could it be an alignment issue?
or Worn cassette?  (is it usual for only a couple of gears to go 1st?)

Any ideas?
Isnt the norm to replace chain and cassette at same time? - as dont they "mould" and wear to each other?

Maybe give it a few rides to bed in a little before fettling? - Unless all your gears skip about I doubt its a drastic setup issue.

The 2 middle gears in questions are probably those you are in the most, hence the problem, either it'll settle with time or bung a new cassette on.
Yes, should replace the cassette and rings at the same time as the chain. You can often get away with just changing the chain but even if its barely stretched at all, the cassette teeth will have started to wear so its shape, likewise most shimano middle rings are made of butter so will do likewise. I normally get 2 years or so out of chain/rings/cassette so just do the whole lot at the same time but I probably dont ride as much although I do ensure everything is all degreased properly, lubed etc after mucky rides
If you have put a new chain on and it is only skipping in a couple of gears, you will find that these are the most used common gears you use on your bike. You can either carry on and live with it or, replace the cassette. ideally you want to buy a new cassette and 3 chains and rotate the chains at 500 mile intervals, no i don't do it either, your gears will last forever.
Could be due to the 10 tons of much/grease/shit/cow pat/sheep pat and crap you have on your drive chain  Tongue
;D  That SDW sheep-poop is getting well rotted now too :X
"impished" Wrote:;D  That SDW sheep-poop is getting well rotted now too :X

just how do you do it  Big Grin your bikes look completely covered and you never complain of problems  >Sad
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:just how do you do it  Big Grin your bikes look completely covered and you never complain of problems  >Sad
I think it's a great big dollop of luck....  I've lost 2 teeth on the front big ring now too. :Smile
I might have to bite the bullet and get a new cassette.
I 'spose I better ask---  anyone got a spare room for when I tell the missus I need to spend more money on the bike  :'(
"impished" Wrote:I think it's a great big dollop of luck....  I've lost 2 teeth on the front big ring now too. :Smile
I might have to bite the bullet and get a new cassette.
I 'spose I better ask---  anyone got a spare room for when I tell the missus I need to spend more money on the bike  :'(

im sure you can persuade her with a trip down to the jewlery shop Wink just make sure its near a bike shop and 'accidently' walk into it Undecided
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:im sure you can persuade her with a trip down to the jewlery shop Wink just make sure its near a bike shop and 'accidently' walk into it Undecided

Jewelry!!! :o  I'm not made of money you know Wink