This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copying hard drives
Fellow geeks...

I've got my pc running, god knows how, it's just working. I did buy a new whizzy fast hdd which (for safety and speed sake) I would like as my boot drive.

How do I do a mirror copy of my main drive to this new one in vista?

The new one is in and formatted and recognized etc.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Fellow geeks...

I've got my pc running, god knows how, it's just working. I did buy a new whizzy fast hdd which (for safety and speed sake) I would like as my boot drive.

How do I do a mirror copy of my main drive to this new one in vista?

The new one is in and formatted and recognized etc.

ctrl + A, ctrl + C, ctrl + P ? Tongue
Norton Ghost or something similar, it will boot off its own CD as you cannot do the copy whilst in Windows. You will have to "find" it somewhere, there are also other free ones I believe.

Just make VERY SURE you get the drives right ie the Source is your working Windows drive, the Destination is the new blank drive. Sounds simple enough but it has been known for people (cough) to get it wrong once, especially if the drives are the same size as they will just appear as the sizes/drive number, wont have vendour names etc
if you're after a free (genuinely free) piece of software to copy a hard drive, i'd recommend clonezilla it's GNU so free to use and you can boot it from a USB stick or CD

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://clonezilla.org/">http://clonezilla.org/</a><!-- m -->