This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crank removal..
On paper it's a easy job right?... I have zee cranks with the hollowtech bottom bracket, and is is the stupid low torque plastic bolt thingy that's giving me a headache. The previous owner has done its up so tight that I can't remove it with the fancy tool that I brought to remove it to put my shiny new chainring on and remove the noisy chain guide. The tool I brought is useless it's like a plastic socket that's operated by a 6mm Allen key, it rounded straight away at he the Allen bolt end. Also I have tried gripping it with long nose pliers and giving them a tap with a hammer the plastic bolt didn't like that neither did it budge. I have ordered a alloy cap to replace it so it doesn't really matter if I have to butcher it out. I think the next thing I will try is to try and saw a groove into it and try the hammer and screwdriver technique. Any ideas I have missed? Do I take it to my lbs? Do I resort to fire? I can't let a plastic bolt defeat me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LBS if its damaged or invest in a metal removal tool. make sure you grease it when fixing back up.
Had you already loosened the two pinch bolts on the crank arm prior to trying to remove the preload cap?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Yeah I has loosened the pinch bolts. I think lbs will be my best option as my new preload cap is a 8mm Allen key type. I will definitely be lathering it in copper grease!

Just a quick update.. I got impatient as my shiny ring arrived today. I won with the hammer and screwdriver! I didn't even have to cut a groove in it first, the screwdriver bit into it perfectly! now to figure the chain length out.. Any tips? According to my old chain about 4 links need to come out, but the new chainring is 34 and the old one was 36.

Hooray for the hammer Wink

Run the chain around the crank and top ring of cassette and your rear mech should be pulled forward to around 45'.

If it's on a full suss don't forget to let all the air out the rear shock and compress this first to allow for chain growth.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Thanks for that! resim look about right?

How about chain line? resim does that look a bit extreme?