This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exercises for biking
[MOD]..split thread from enduro section[/MOD]

press ups is one of the best exercises to do (for any cyclist)

I used to do loads but stopped i have now started again much to the amusement of my son who counts for me, whilst taking the p1ss
"Longjon" Wrote:press ups is one of the best exercises to do (for any cyclist)

I used to do loads but stopped i have now started again much to the amusement of my son who counts for me, whilst taking the p1ss

ive set up a daily routine of press ups etc .. 20 wehn i wake up, 20 at lunch (if im back from 6th form) then 15 when i get back in and 10 before bed

also do 50 situps with them, press ups hurt like hell when i first started them but now can do 20 fairly easily so should maybe increase the numbers Undecided
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:ive set up a daily routine of press ups etc .. 20 wehn i wake up, 20 at lunch (if im back from 6th form) then 15 when i get back in and 10 before bed

also do 50 situps with them, press ups hurt like hell when i first started them but now can do 20 fairly easily so should maybe increase the numbers Undecided

check out hundredpushups.com

but even for non cyclists, a combination of pushups, situp, lunges and squats is a great way to stay in shape without having to buy any weights or gym membership.
I can only do about 3 press ups then my arms give way
"Breezer" Wrote:I can only do about 3 press ups then my arms give way

i was like that to start with  :B it soon gets easier !
I just dont have the strength plus it doesnt take much for my collar bone to start aching or the inside of my right elbow which is an old badminton injury Sad
"Breezer" Wrote:I just dont have the strength plus it doesnt take much for my collar bone to start aching or the inside of my right elbow which is an old badminton injury Sad

how about knee pushups ? basically a normal push up but with your knees onthe ground and the rest of your back straight like a normal one ... takes a lot of weight off but can still help
Yes might try that but it means exercise Smile
I do a series of core stability exercises to help my back pains.  Physio and gym approved, don't you know!  Press-ups are great and i rarely find my shoulders or upper arms ache on the bike.  When done correctly you can feel your stomach muscles working too.  Most days i do the following:

60 sit ups (half standard ones, half twisting to use your sides)
60 back extensions (again half straight, half twisting)
90 press-ups

All are done off a large swiss ball and are split between 2/3 sets.  Seems to help my back and it keeps the arm muscles in regular use.  Only takes 10 mins or so.  I feel its helped my riding over longer distances too, although my back does still play up most mornings

[EDIT] Sorry - we're going off topic again.  One for the fitness section methinks... [/EDIT]
I was delighted not to suffer either during or after the enduro  Tongue. Maybe I was not trying hard enough.

Despite weighing in at 60Kg and being a complete pussy i climb twice a week as well as riding. i'm not very strong but maybe the climbing has made my core muscles (stomach and back and shoulders) fairly well balanced. The closest thing to this that you can do easily at home is push ups (on knees if you want, it'll get easier in time) and chin ups, try varying the width between  your hands in each exercise, also crunches are very good, don't bother with the old style sit up, it strains the back, and generally we suffer from back ache due to poorly balanced muscles front vs rear. Don't overdo anything tho, it's better to do 30 sit ups 3 times a day than 130 once. if you have got a bar or branch or something to do a chin up off, try it with your hands both ways, (palms in vs palms out) it will work different areas, as does varying the distance between the hands. Don't bother doing any exercise to exhaustion, this is how to build muscle but tends to work only what is already strong. Controlled movements concentrate your power, shaking violently as you desperately wrench out that last press up will only work muscles that are already strong. Balance between the muscle groups is more important so try to work each area individually. Don't build muscle, tune what's already there.

Oh, and I'm still a rubbish climber. :B I cannot blame it on my stature as arguably the world's best is Dave Graham, weighing in at 63Kg and built like Ghandi...

resimScrawny...
Keep it foolish...