This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F-forksake! Advice needed please?
Just to put y'all in the picture I only discovered MTB-ing last May, when I bought my bike I couldn't believe that I'd ever need anything more than what I'd got...

After all £480 on a bike is a lot of money isn't it‽

Apparently not.

So far, and in 7 months and close to 600 off road miles it's needed:
New upgraded chain
New upgraded Cassette
New Free Hub
New upgraded deralier
New upgraded brake pads
Replacement cables

The guys in the shop, after consulting with Trek have come to the conclusion that the demands that I'm making of my bike and its components are outweighing it's abilites...

So with that in mind I'm waiting 'till May when my current Ride 2 Work scheme is paid then I'll be upgrading.

Anyway, now that I've been enjoying the thrills & spills of winter riding my (now evidently) cheap poor quality starter forks have developed a squeak, get stiff mid ride, seize and generally aren't working properly.

I've researched the topic and today I decided to strip em and see if I could give em a service.

This is the puddle of foul smelling gunk and state of the forks I was greeted with once I'd loosened the tubes:

resim

resim

resim

resim

resim

resim

I haven't got the tools or time yet to get to the internals, but I'm guessing it's not gonna be too pretty in there either

So... My question (although I think I know what the answer is gonna be) is this;

Do you reckon those forks are salvageable and worth the effort?

Or is it worth spending the money on these which look pretty good value and continue the Triggers-Broomification of my bike?

resim

Considering that in 5 months that bike is likely to be downgraded to spare, hybridised and probably left in the shed. I'm loath to spend any more money on it than I absolutely have to...

But on the other hand... Those Rockshox look like a good deal, and if they last me until I upgrade my bike I could then swap them onto my Son's GT Aggressor which is currently sporting even poorer spec -yet better condition- SR Sun tours and put his forks onto my Trek.

The downside to that plan being that the cost of replacement forks will almost wipeout my "saving for a Garmin Edge 1000" fund and not impress Mrs Jonboy when she sees me lavish even more green on "That bloody bike"
Welcome to MTB'ing Wink It can be a bit of a money pit as you are finding out. That sounds normal as reguards the chain, cassette and cables with the amount of miles you are doing. Why did you have to upgrade the rear mech? Have you're forks had new seals in that time, the ones on the top of the fork legs? They should be changed every few months or so, and is the most likely cause for injesting so much dirt. You could get them serviced but it'll cost you about £80 and will be good as new again. I and a lot of other Sketchy'ites have been using South Coast Suspension <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.southcoastsuspension.co.uk">http://www.southcoastsuspension.co.uk</a><!-- m --> based in Newhaven just outside Brighton. Those Rockshox would be an improvement though if you want to spend the extra money.
To be honest the replacement chain, cassette & brakes pads are pretty much expected wear & tear in 6 months so I wouldn't put that down to the bike spec. The forks are shot but if you plan to replace the bike in May I would be tempted to try & bodge them to be as least effective as you have nothing to loose. Bear in mind from now until April is going to be riding thro crap & if you use the roads you have to contend with salt as well, neither are friendly to chrome plate fork stanchions & if the original forks have failed within 6 months of the milder side of the bad weather I would be hesitant to put another set thro the harsher side of winter unless you have money to burn....
Treehugger Wrote:Welcome to MTB'ing Wink It can be a bit of a money pit as you are finding out. That sounds normal as reguards the chain, cassette and cables with the amount of miles you are doing. Why did you have to upgrade the rear mech? Have you're forks had new seals in that time, the ones on the top of the fork legs? They should be changed every few months or so, and is the most likely cause for injesting so much dirt. You could get them serviced but it'll cost you about £80 and will be good as new again. I and a lot of other Sketchy'ites have been using South Coast Suspension <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.southcoastsuspension.co.uk">http://www.southcoastsuspension.co.uk</a><!-- m --> based in Newhaven just outside Brighton. Those Rockshox would be an improvement though if you want to spend the extra money.

Sadly your original forks aren't just requiring a service....those stanchions are fooked if that is corrosion / pitted on the picture..
Laggingbehind Wrote:
Treehugger Wrote:Welcome to MTB'ing Wink It can be a bit of a money pit as you are finding out. That sounds normal as reguards the chain, cassette and cables with the amount of miles you are doing. Why did you have to upgrade the rear mech? Have you're forks had new seals in that time, the ones on the top of the fork legs? They should be changed every few months or so, and is the most likely cause for injesting so much dirt. You could get them serviced but it'll cost you about £80 and will be good as new again. I and a lot of other Sketchy'ites have been using South Coast Suspension <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.southcoastsuspension.co.uk">http://www.southcoastsuspension.co.uk</a><!-- m --> based in Newhaven just outside Brighton. Those Rockshox would be an improvement though if you want to spend the extra money.

Sadly your original forks aren't just requiring a service....those stanchions are fooked if that is corrosion / pitted on the picture..
Ah it looked like just dirt on my phone screen.
Cheers for the advice all.

Yeah, they are pitted.

I'll bear that suspension service place in mind, but looking around my SR Suntour XCM's aren't worth £80 so I've bitten the bullet and ordered those Rockshox.

The plan being that now I know how to strip and service those crappy Suntours I can keep on top of my sons ones, then when the time comes I'll donate my new Rockshox to his GT, commandeer his Suntours to my Trek for road/light trail use and ensure my next bike is a better spec from the getgo.

Forks due to arrive on Thursday so hopefully I'll get em fitted in time for a ride on Friday.

The rear mech change/upgrade was an attempt to get rid of chain suck that I kept getting on climbs... It worked.
jonboy1066 Wrote:Cheers for the advice all.

Yeah, they are pitted.

I'll bear that suspension service place in mind, but looking around my SR Suntour XCM's aren't worth £80 so I've bitten the bullet and ordered those Rockshox.

The plan being that now I know how to strip and service those crappy Suntours I can keep on top of my sons ones, then when the time comes I'll donate my new Rockshox to his GT, commandeer his Suntours to my Trek for road/light trail use and ensure my next bike is a better spec from the getgo.

Forks due to arrive on Thursday so hopefully I'll get em fitted in time for a ride on Friday.
Sounds like a good plan Wink
Oh and don't go into the damper internals yourself, that is a job for the pro's as you need to know what you are doing and have the right tools.
Cheers Andy, yup I'll stay out of the dampers and just keep to stripping the boys shocks as far as mine are and keeping the stanchions clean & serviceable.
jonboy1066 Wrote:Cheers Andy, yup I'll stay out of the dampers and just keep to stripping the boys shocks as far as mine are and keeping the stanchions clean & serviceable.
The oil seals on the top of the lowers are easy to change too, just lever them out with the open end of a spanner and press the new ones in.