This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAO Motorcycle owners or experience in motorcycles
ok ive been offered the chance to go halves on a moped or a motorcyle for me birthday, i personally think its a great idea, much easier to travel around to see friends and to get into work so im jumping at the chance !

the only problem is i know nothing about motorcycles  :Smile, ive got a vague idea of liscence's and insurance, i do believe its anyone over 17 with a CBT can ride a 125 cc right ?

with this in mind anyone got any suggestions ? budget is around £600 really so im guessing im looking a second hand 125cc ?
get a scooter, don't bother with a motorbike styled bike. twist and go all the way...
Keep it foolish...
get something that looks awful so no-one nicks it
Absolutely no idea im afraid as I did my test many years ago and can ride anything. Of course I started riding motorbikes when I was 3  8)

Poxy scooters etc are everywhere these days. Just dont ride like a tw@t like most of them do, all over the place just asking to be knocked off and smashed up. Add quite a few hundred for insurance then you have tax etc as well.

resim
lol another classic from the idiots that run this country. We don't use KW when talking about car/bike power unlike some countries like Australia etc but they insist on putting the info on here in KW mainly!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Lea...DG_4022568
"Breezer" Wrote:lol another classic from the idiots that run this country. We don't use KW when talking about car/bike power unlike some countries like Australia etc but they insist on putting the info on here in KW mainly!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Lea...DG_4022568

but it does make more sense than refering to the mighty power of a horse... Sadly, you are correct, what the hell is a KW in real life? Fortunately these guys know...
http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/converter.htm
Keep it foolish...
heh well yes....then you have the fact that lots of cars power is actually PS and not BHP like my Clio, its 172PS, most Jap things are as well so you have to knock a few off to get the BHP figure but this is often lost in magazines etc

On a vaguely related note, I can only process bikes when talking in inches and lb's but if its components it has to be in grams.....
Forget second hand 125s in your price range most are two strokes highly strung, neglected and f**ked. Stay away from the chinese imports going cheep on ebay trouble with spares and warranty claims, most bike shops will not touch them when they brake down (most of the time it is an electrical fault).

Twist and goes are easy and fun to use but try and stick to the japanese big four not the italian ones they look pretty but are fickle.

hope this helps
"leadbasher" Wrote:Forget second hand 125s in your price range most are two strokes highly strung, neglected and f**ked. Stay away from the chinese imports going cheep on ebay trouble with spares and warranty claims, most bike shops will not touch them when they brake down (most of the time it is an electrical fault).

Twist and goes are easy and fun to use but try and stick to the japanese big four not the italian ones they look pretty but are fickle.

hope this helps

yeh ive been warned about chinese ones ... who are the big four  :B
Honda
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Yamaha