This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Please, decisions decisons.
Any advice appreciated guys as i cant decide myself.

Commencal have finally got back to me and they have replaced my front triangle on my 08 meta5 frame, however they have said i can pay an extra £400 and get a Meta6 as an upgrade.

So that will be £400 i will have to pay.

However Merlin are currently selling Meta6 frames for £875 new! so if i sold my meta 5 frame for about £400-500 then id have to spend the same again to get a meta 6 frame new from merlin anyway.

Some may know that i want an orange alpine frame, these can be got for £1200. If i again sold the meta5 frame for £400-500 then id have to spend £700 to get the alpine.

So i would have to spend an extra £300 to get the alpine frame over the meta 6 frame.

(Of course this all depends that i can actually sell the meta 5 frame)

I dunno what to do.
This sold (pre-screwed by ebay fees, use singletrack!) for £402 and its tatty etc so you should be able to move yours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Commencal-Meta-5-5...0432474150

I dont normally pay much attention to BR mini reviews but if even they detected the flex and stroke characteristics then they must be quite noticable

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/b...6-08-31981

The only thing with the Alpine is that its a single pivot. It wont make much difference on the downhills unless you trail brake a lot like I do (bad habit) as that will make the suspension less active and it wont climb as well as the Meta but I doubt thats a big concern for the riding you do.

Remind me why the Blood wasnt suitable, you did say but ive forgotton, it looks sweet as in that pale blue and the angles at least are similar
Is £400-500 realistic for a Meta 5 (08?) frame?  If so, seems pointless selling it only to spend the same amount as you would on a replacement Meta 6 so i'd rule that option out, as i'm sure you have already.

Basically you want to upgrade your bike, right?  As far as i can tell you'd prefer the Alpine so for me it would be a case of affordability.  If you can stretch to the Alpine that's what i'd do, as otherwise you may end up regretting not going for your ideal bike.  Weigh up a few hundred quid (not that much in the grand scheme of things) vs the use and enjoyment you'll get out of it.

Have you ridden an Alpine or a 6?  Worth doing before you splash out i reckon.
Yes im upgrading no matter what, ive sold the pikes and i have some fox 36s here ready.

The meta 6 is the easiest solution, i dont have to run the risk of selling the bike and it is essentially selling the meta 5 to merlin for £400-500.

The Alpine i would have to run the risk of being able and hassle of selling the meta 5 and spend the extra £300ish after that aswell.

Ive ridden a Meta 6 and it felt similar to the meta 5, ive never ridden a alpine.

Meta 6 is winning at the moment as its the hassle free and cheap option. I can afford the alpine but i would be using  some savings.

hmmmm its a tough one.
"Breezer" Wrote:This sold (pre-screwed by ebay fees, use singletrack!) for £402 and its tatty etc so you should be able to move yours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Commencal-Meta-5-5...0432474150

I dont normally pay much attention to BR mini reviews but if even they detected the flex and stroke characteristics then they must be quite noticable

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/b...6-08-31981

The only thing with the Alpine is that its a single pivot. It wont make much difference on the downhills unless you trail brake a lot like I do (bad habit) as that will make the suspension less active and it wont climb as well as the Meta but I doubt thats a big concern for the riding you do.

Remind me why the Blood wasnt suitable, you did say but ive forgotton, it looks sweet as in that pale blue and the angles at least are similar

Im sure i could get more as mine is mint, the rear swing arm is mint as it had copter tape all over it and i removed before sending it off, the front triangle will be brand new aswell so it will be a brand newish bike. I think £400 is realistic with £500 being lucky. I noticed a bit of flex on the meta 5 rear swing arm but when i put the 12mm bolt through that went away and id be doing the same on the meta 6.

Tha blood is to small to ride all day and is more focused on bike parks.
I doubt you'll have any trouble selling your frame for 400-500 quid russ, Ebay can spring some real surprises and there will be more than a few people looking at it. Put it up with no reserve to get the appetite whet and put a starting price of a £1. We always do that with all our auctions and we have never managed to not get what we wanted.

How many weeks off biking have you had because of this warranty issue. That alone would put me off Comencial for good as you paid top dollar and ended up with a load of hassle. The Alpine is a British made bike known for its strength and durability. If there are any issues they will be quickly resolved as the firm is in the UK.

From reading your posts you really like the Alpine, so if you end up with the 6 you'll always be asking yourself what if... When i upgraded the gearing on my bike i toyed with the idea of SLX, but decided i would always be thinking about XT and therefore the extra spend was worth it to get what i really wanted.

If you get the 6 i bet in a few months you'll still be looking at the Alpine, but if you get the Alpine i reckon you'll be happy for the foreseeable future...

Just my opinions off course, take em or leave em...
Well i am getting a Alpine so you can have ago on mine. as long as you dont crash of any jumps or drag it along a skinny or anything like that  Wink
Thank you guys for the help and advice, ive gone for the Meta 6 frame. I liked the alpine and meta6 equally and have never liked the alpine more so thats why it was a more difficult decision. The Meta 6 was the easiest solution and ive got a new 2 year warranty with it so fingers crossed i wont have to use it. The Alpine would have only had a 1 year.

Should be here tomorrow, woohooo.
"Buzz" Wrote:Should be here tomorrow, woohooo.
Nice one Russ.....  piccies, piccies, piccies.... Wink
Cool - i think i got the wrong end of the stick as i thought you preferred the Meta.  If you liked them equally then you made the right call.

Looking forward to seeign the finished build Smile  Will you need a new Sketchy Mod sticker then?

OT: Ade yours is in the car so you can have it tomorrow  :B