This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Rise Stack
Hi Guys,

The Yukon came with a comedy number of washers under the stem, making it like riding a giraffe to begin with. I removed all but the big, slightly cone shaped one but still found it a bit high...

here is the big cone shaped 'washer'

resim

this is what I found underneath it...

resim

sorry, this is what i found under it...

resim

can I just put the stem on top of that to make it extra low?
Keep it foolish...
Ha ha ha - just laughed so loud i think i woke up my housemate!!

No idea if you can run without a spacer stack but guessing it'll be OK as long as the stem doesn't rub on the headset
glad you liked womble...

Doesn't rub, but gotta get insane length steerer cut down at bike shop as got no hacksaw at home. Will double check with them tomorrow...
Keep it foolish...
Lol at the Womble Big Grin

Yeah that's just a normal headset compression ring, so yes you can run the stem on top of that. No need to get the bike shop to cut the steerer. If you have an old stem whack that on and use it as a guide and hacksaw round the steerer a bit at a time. That leaves a completely level and smooth cut. If you don't fancy it yourself though if you ring Downlands first thing in the morning they will probably do it while you wait, it's only a 5 minuet job. I thought it wasodd when you said the cone was the headset compression ring, as in every mag review the first thing they do is remove it. It's a stupid idea!
yeah, dim idea, it's to make the bike more upright for newbies i think, but it makes it so slow handling it's like steering the titanic through icebergs trying to get thru trees in Blean. Silver Birch! Dead Ahead!
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:yeah, dim idea, it's to make the bike more upright for newbies i think, but it makes it so slow handling it's like steering the titanic through icebergs trying to get thru trees in Blean. Silver Birch! Dead Ahead!
You crack me up Mike Big Grin Big Grin

I see in the post your bike thread you've slammed it already. Dose it handle much better? I used to have 3 spacers under my stem and it made a huge difference when i slammed mine right down. I can't believe i had it that high for so long!
i slam dunked the funk outta that mutha! Gotta get up to get down... Er actually that's the wrong way round isn't it?

What I mean is I reduced the stack height from stock by about 2inches and it made a massive difference, did the same to the giant acid and it changed the handling totally, sooo much more chuckable. as i could not tighten the stem down properly as there are not enough spacers to put pressure on it having removed the stupid big cone spacer I am not totally sure I have got the height right yet on the yukon so am not gonna cut it down to the max just yet, might leave room for a couple of spacers on top or below just in case.
Keep it foolish...
Hmm, might have a look at droping my bar height as its got a reasonable stack on it, however as i don't have a riser bar i guess it evens out a bit
slam your body down and wind it all around...

do it, my bar is only a small rise but the stack of spacers under the stem was laughably huge.
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:slam your body down and wind it all around...

do it, my bar is only a small rise but the stack of spacers under the stem was laughably huge.
Not as high as mine used to be :B
resim