This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hugh's new bike
New thread for Hugh's new frame...  Here's his original post:

Quote:ok guy's, also asking for some advice here, have seen a trek ex 8 frame on ebay i quite like the look of. All my parts should fit right on, not sure about my forks though....100mm travel reba's, possibly too short for this frame? I've also asked for a closeup pic of the dent as in the description.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260362894998">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0362894998</a><!-- m -->
Its a lovely all mountain bike but would be under forked with 100mm Rebas and i'd be concerned about that dent.  More pics or a close look would reveal more though.  I think the standard bulid comes with 140mm up front so you'd be well down on that even if you could extend the travel of your Rebas to 115 / 120mm

I rode the EX8 around Afan for a couple of days last year and i have to say it was a toss up between that and the Trance when i got a new frame.  I'd have been over the moon with either
&quot;pittgoat&quot; Wrote:Its a lovely all mountain bike but would be under forked with 100mm Rebas and i'd be concerned about that dent.  More pics or a close look would reveal more though.  I think the standard bulid comes with 140mm up front so you'd be well down on that even if you could extend the travel of your Rebas to 115 / 120mm

I rode the EX8 around Afan for a couple of days last year and i have to say it was a toss up between that and the Trance when i got a new frame.  I'd have been over the moon with either

I've now received pics of the dent and it's fairly large! I didn't really want to have to change my forks so i think I'll stick with my hardtail for now...nothing wrong with it but would like a rear shock!
&quot;hugh_b&quot; Wrote:I've now received pics of the dent and it's fairly large! I didn't really want to have to change my forks so i think I'll stick with my hardtail for now...nothing wrong with it but would like a rear shock!

sorry to hear that for you, if you did want to soften out the ride when sitting down ive got a suspension seatpost laying around in the garage somewhere, you can have it if you want it ;D gets it out of my way Big Grin
&quot;TooYoungToKnow&quot; Wrote:sorry to hear that for you, if you did want to soften out the ride when sitting down ive got a suspension seatpost laying around in the garage somewhere, you can have it if you want it ;D gets it out of my way Big Grin

thanks very much for the offer buddy but it's no big deal! My friends all have full sus bikes now and me being a bike tart felt left out Big Grin I think i'll probably wait now until i can get something all new!

Hugh
Hey guy's, how do these rate in your eyes?: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...%26otn%3D2

A friend has just got a new 08 trance 2, i understand the frames changed for 08 but if this will perform on par then it may be worth the cash.
Rates very well in my eyes but then i'm biased...

Check out this thread for our opinions on the Trance (nearer the end).  I love mine.  Great with 130mm travel up front.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/giant-trance-frame-for-sale">http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... e-for-sale</a><!-- m -->

May be of interest to you or Ben?
Thanks for that, everyone here obviously thinks they are a good frame! It seems like i could run my rebas until i could fund some longer travel forks although the rebas are practically new so i don't think I'd have a problem shifting them.

As in the above link i also feel a bit....silly i guess you could say as i currently have an 08 hardtail and it feels "wrong" to be buying something used and older although right now this is the only way i will get a nice full sus with a smaller frame than my current hardtail.

I have asked the buyer a few more questions such as shock service history etc. It looks quite clean for the year...i'm not too keen on the color as i have silver rebas but some nice white rockshox or fox forks could change that. I now have crossride wheels and hope mono mini's to go on along with some slx drivetrain components so it could turn into a nice little build!

Thanks-Hugh
Yep its a lovely frame that would build into a nice bike with what you have to go on it.  Remind me again - are they 100mm Rebas?  The frame was built for 100mm and the Reba is a cracking fork.  Running 130mm transforms the frame to a much more positive rig for the downhills and if you can extend your Reba internally you might get 120mm out of it so its worth doing.