This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacket Advice?
I've found myself in the very nice position that I've been asked to go to Plas Y Brenin to do a Level 2 MTB Leader course ready for next spring so that I can up the level of youth coaching that we were doing this year... Which is brilliant for me, the kids and the centre I'm teaching at.

But!

The only course dates that I can do are in Feb next year & I reckon February in North Wales is gonna be a bit ... Bleak.

So I'm gonna need some decent warm 'n' waterproof kit... Especially a jacket

Ideally I'm looking for:
Good quality
No more than £150
Breathable
Oversize helmet covering hood
Orange
Size L

The Endura MT500 Jacket covers all these bases & I've been thinking about getting one anyway... But they've suddenly gone as rare as rocking horse poop, as Endura have released a new model that I don't like the look of.

I saw one on eBay last night, but was outbid. Other than that I can't find any-anywhere in my size & colour preference.

So... My questions are;
1, Does anyone know anywhere that might still have some Endura MT500's in stock?

b, Is there a decent alternative out there?

iii, I've found a Raceface Chute AW15 which looks like a good alternative... Anyone got one? What's it like?
Sorry I'm not helping, but personally I'd avoid the "helmet covering hood" thing, unless it's just for standing around in the rain talking?
They completely knock out any peripheral vision, you can't turn head to see around & even marr your hearing perception for people/things behind/beside you.

That's all personal experience having tried riding MTB and snowboard with the hood up.
I think it depends on the jacket Jay, i often ride in the pishing rain in the winter with my hood over the helmet and have no problems with visibility, it's an old Berghaus jacket. It now leaks like a sive though so may need to replace soon.
Jay Dubster Wrote:Sorry I'm not helping, but personally I'd avoid the "helmet covering hood" thing, unless it's just for standing around in the rain talking?
They completely knock out any peripheral vision, you can't turn head to see around & even marr your hearing perception for people/things behind/beside you.

That's all personal experience having tried riding MTB and snowboard with the hood up.

Yeah it would be more about the standing in the rain talking/coaching/encouraging while off the bike than for riding with it up.

I've ridden a lot in the pishing rain and it's never bothered me. But if I'm gonna be leading rides & coaching it'd be nice to have something to stop body heat from escaping & rain annoying me during those off bike periods rather than removing my helmet to put my hood up...

No one likes a sweat soaked helmet being draped back over their head.
US military surplus does a grand job for me and i can get the hood over my lid, peripheral vision is not good with the hood up.
Madison Addict. Close fitting around arms*, velcro wrists, helmet hood, chilli orange, zipper vents on chest, etc, etc. Wore it the other day when it was forecast to rain but didn't and got a bit too toasty.
* compared to old jacket, the velcro on the addict is only really to close the wrist up tight when done up - the fit of the wrist/arm doesn't allow as much air in as I'd like when unfastened.
Good shout that's a nice looking jacket
Lee Gee Wrote:US military surplus does a grand job for me and i can get the hood over my lid, peripheral vision is not good with the hood up.
Where did you get that from? There's an army surplus shop in Canterbury but think they only do British army stuff, do you know if the British version is waterproof too?
A souvenir from a nights drinking with US army guys at Le Mans. Big Grin
I expect the British stuff is just as good, have a look at some online army surplus places
Lee Gee Wrote:A souvenir from a nights drinking with US army guys at Le Mans. Big Grin
I expect the British stuff is just as good, have a look at some online army surplus places

Not if it's anything like the issue I had for the 7½ years I was in the Army ... We didn't call our waterproofs "Crisp Packets" for nowt.