This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak
I know some of you are paddlers so I thought I would ask a few questions.

Over the years I have considered buying a kayak but never committed. I am revisiting this idea again and looking at whitewater/playboats for the surf. Having never done anything like this before i am wondering how easy it is to self teach, and whether or not it is considered safe to go out alone?

Im guessing ejecting is easy enough (no doubt it will be required), just a bit of a pain swimming back in.

Anyone else regularly kayak surf? Any opinions would be great.....including whether or not its actually fun!

Finally I'm having some golfers elbow issues, would this likely aggravate it?

Thanks
I have done very little kayaking but the general consensus seemed to be join a club.  No doubt Andy will be along soon with better advice.
Yep join a club, it's much better going out with others, and obviousely safer too. When you say surf, do you literally mean just surf, or do you intend longer distance paddling too? If the former then i would suggest getting a surf kayak, as they are specifically designed for surfing, but no good for paddling any distance. If the later, then get a Crossover, like a Pyranha Fusion, Wavesport Ethos, Dagger Katana etc. They have a whitwater orientated hull making them highly manoeverable and have a drop down skeg which helps keep it in a straight line on flat water, as whitewater boats don't like going in a strait line. Make sure you get the right size for your height/weight, and where possible try before you buy. If you join a club they may have some club boats you can try. I go out with Whitstable Canoe Club <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://m.facebook.com/groups/7147067569?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply">https://m.facebook.com/groups/714706756 ... ment_reply</a><!-- m -->
thanks for the replies.

looking at a second hand Pyranha i3 222 which i believe would be the right size (I'm 5ft10" 75kgs)

I'm looking at primarily surfing but playing on the local weir and the occasional paddle along the river.

Ashford seems to have an active club so maybe worth joining there.
Pirates canoe club is in ashford. They have club boats you can try before you make a decision on which type of boat you want. Pretty much all kayaks can be surfed. I know pirates do regular pool training night so you can learn to roll, which if you want to surf will be essential as you will soon get bored of swimming back to shore to get back in. Don't forget all the rest of the kit aswell good paddle ,spray ,deck ,bouncy aid, helmet , wetsuit /dry suit or cag. Also learning a good paddle stroke should not effect your elbow as most of the power comes from your core muscles.
Most of all try it and have fun