This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Brighton
Morning all,

The London to Brighton is on Sunday the 21st June this year.  I may be riding it with people form work as we get coaches to and from the start / finish but if anyone is interested it might be a laugh to have a 'team Sketchy' presence and have a few beers in Brighton afterwards.

I beleive Russ' gf will be riding so anyone who wants to do it must be prepared to be beaten by a girl Wink
I loved the L2B when I done it, and raised quite a bit of money (still got the silver certificate for my company- ahh)...

Not done it since as it was a logistical nightmare to get a team of us up there, from hiring a minibus and finding a driver etc.

Actually cost quite a bit of money to do in the end.

I wouldnt mind doing it, but transport/logistics I dont wanna deal with!  >Sad
May be to late to enter by now?

I did it in 06 and 07 and once many years back. We attempted to start at 6.30 or was it 7 the last two times but still had selfish unfit people making us walk on a couple of the early hills. I love the riding through London though as I go into physcho mode. Where there arent police shouting at me, there are no traffic rules ahem. Even my friend had a go at me later on as I was overtaking people half sideways partially off the road on some downhills lol. Luckily by Ditchling the selfish people get out of the way so you can ride up. 06 we both manged the same speed down the hill just after that, 51.3mph  8)

My friend wrote up both years here http://darkrepository.com/index2.html

If you want a clean run at it you will need to start at whatever the earliest time is, 6 or before and get to the front. I wouldnt mind doing a ultra slow ride one year with BBQ stops etc. The last 2 times I have had a dead hamstring hence it taking over 3.5 hours and was on a mtb with slicks which wasnt ideal either
Our start was 8am when we done it - NEVER AGAIN! - Practically walked out of London....

Stupid plod held us up for what seemed like half an hour at a set of crossroads out.

You can probably turn up and enter if you wanted to take the chance.

If Im to do it again, Im starting with the first lot to get a clean run at it.

Did no-one fancy the L2B "offroad" last year?
i'd be up for the LtoB, but as above, logistics is an @r$e as you cannot take your bike on the train and have to start from London at around 7am. If there is transport of some variety then I'd be well up for it, done it three times before, last time was 3.20hrs but that was on, you guessed it, a road bike... It's an excellent day out, another time I did it was with a colleague who rode £80s worth of borrowed Shockwave Full sus. Nice...
Keep it foolish...
For those entering the regular L2B this year, "Standard" entry opens on 1st March.

I have to confess, we are planning a "road" ride for February - The Viking Trail which is a 35mile round trip.  There, Ive said it.  Its mostly on coastal cycle/pathways, but starts and ends at a pub!  Wink
"BMJBOY" Wrote:For those entering the regular L2B this year, "Standard" entry opens on 1st March.

I have to confess, we are planning a "road" ride for February - The Viking Trail which is a 35mile round trip.  There, Ive said it.  Its mostly on coastal cycle/pathways, but starts and ends at a pub!  Wink

Nice views but as its quite flat i'd expect a shorter ride, say 20 miles, around BBH, Surrey or Swinley to be a lot tougher than a 35 mile road ride.  As a guide, my commute is 35 miles round.  Takes about an hour each way...
Its almost totally flat, but we're just gonna belt through it for some sustained hi pace training.  Ive done it before in the height of summer and was actually quite fun.
We're just trying to keep the training mixed up so it doesnt get boring and is varied enough.
I have done both L2B and the viking trail and found that both where quite easy. If you MTB alot like most of us doing a road ride is easy peasy.

BTW if you do L2B get slick tyres
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:I have done both L2B and the viking trail and found that both where quite easy. If you MTB alot like most of us doing a road ride is easy peasy.

BTW if you do L2B get slick tyres

The XTC is likely to be in full 'commuter' mode with slicks by then so would definitely be the bike of choice as a lot of my mates would be on road bikes.  I found last time i rode with them i was all over them on the hills but had to put in a hell of a lot of effort to keep up on the flat, although i did have knobblies on back then.

I'm not expecting it to be a hard ride but its something i'd like to be able to say i've done.  A couple of mates are considering London to Paris which might be a laugh but i think i'd be bored of the roads by the first evening...