This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louis Guarno Cinq
Remember Paul, the guy who came along on the Saturday ride a few weeks ago? He borrowed my bike as his was an embarrassingly unmaintained POS. Sadly I did not take any before and after pics, they would have been worth seeing as the gear cable outers were shredded and the brake blocks bit into the tyres. Well, no more. He was out of the country for a couple of weeks and left it with me. New tyres, tubes, chain and all cables replaced. Mechs sorted, headset dewobbled, brakes sorted, new grips and comedy streamers fitted to the handlebars.

I rode it back to his place earlier this eve. What was previously a barely functional dog (albeit with a good hardtail frame) with deathtrap brakes and no functional gears has been turned into a rapid and reliable beasty. Not pimped as such, but returned to it's former glory. Damn I'm good... And I made some cash out of it too.
Keep it foolish...
Very good but I am seriously confused over the title of this thread heh
the bike as called a Louis Garneau Cinq, from Quebec I think, but I think Guarno is more fitting...
Keep it foolish...
Is he Canadian?
no, but he is from Lincoln, last time I rode a Canadian's bike i fell off it within seconds due to the backwards brakes...
Keep it foolish...
The only Canadian's bike I've ever ridden had a backpedal brake only :o ...that took a little getting used to
"MudMonkey" Wrote:The only Canadian's bike I've ever ridden had a backpedal brake only :o ...that took a little getting used to
What? how dose that work? And it only breaks when you peddle backwards Undecided :o
"Treehugger" Wrote:What? how dose that work? And it only breaks when you peddle backwards Undecided :o
Check out these backpedal brakers
<object width="480" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://play.freecaster.com/v3/FCPlayer.swf?id=YXBJRD0xMDAwMDA2JmNJRD0xMDA3MzI5JmVJRD0="/><param name="FlashVars" value="autoplay=0" /><embed src="http://play.freecaster.com/v3/FCPlayer.swf?id=YXBJRD0xMDAwMDA2JmNJRD0xMDA3MzI5JmVJRD0=" width="480" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" Flashvars="autoplay=0"/></object>

And have a read (about half way down) here on how the backpedal brake works Tongue
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:What? how dose that work? And it only breaks when you peddle backwards Undecided :o

Yup, that's it... cousin's bike and my auntie failed to explain... luckily my dad did before I took off at some silly pace down thier dirt track driveway... it's a looooooong way in the past now :B
&quot;impished&quot; Wrote:Check out these backpedal brakers
<object width="480" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://play.freecaster.com/v3/FCPlayer.swf?id=YXBJRD0xMDAwMDA2JmNJRD0xMDA3MzI5JmVJRD0="/><param name="FlashVars" value="autoplay=0" /><embed src="http://play.freecaster.com/v3/FCPlayer.swf?id=YXBJRD0xMDAwMDA2JmNJRD0xMDA3MzI5JmVJRD0=" width="480" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" Flashvars="autoplay=0"/></object>

And have a read (about half way down) here on how the backpedal brake works Tongue

Thats not a backpedal brake in the vid, that's a fixed wheel, very little mechanical advantage, and there is no option to freewheel, with a backpedal you can freewheel and with about a 1/4 turn backwards you can brake. Still rubbish tho.
Keep it foolish...