This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merida Brass Monkeys
Morning all

Is anyone going along to any of these this year? I've entered a few of these in the past and have signed up for this years too.

Always well organised and fun courses.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://meridabrassmonkeys.com/">http://meridabrassmonkeys.com/</a><!-- m -->
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
I did first round of Brass Monkeys series today at Checkendon which was a last minute course change so it was around a 4 mile lap.

There was lots of twisty, rooty singletrack with some of the stickiest mud I've ever encountered, even worse then BBH clag :oops:

All in all it was good fun;
I managed 4 laps in the 2 hours and came 33/42 so will see if I can improve on that for round 2.
stayhigh65 Wrote:I did first round of Brass Monkeys series today at Checkendon which was a last minute course change so it was around a 4 mile lap.

There was lots of twisty, rooty singletrack with some of the stickiest mud I've ever encountered, even worse then BBH clag :oops:

All in all it was good fun;
I managed 4 laps in the 2 hours and came 33/42 so will see if I can improve on that for round 2.

Read a review on a Fatbike Forum & that said it tough going especially on fat tyres
Well done.
There were several fat bikes there which looked to have the better of it in some places but not in others.

The course was very flat but some of the singletrack was quite tight. All in I think the organisers did well to get a new course sorted at such short notice and to make the most of the area they had.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Well that's round 2 over and done with Tongue

The course was excellent with a good mix of twisty/swoopy singletrack and some short sharp climbs to keep you honest. Given the weather of late it held up really well, the local must love riding there through winter.

I finished my second lap with 8 minutes to spare so decided drag my punk arse round for a third. Given the amount of riding I've not been doing it was hard going but pleased that I did. All in all I came 42/52.

Looking forward now to round 3 on the third of January :mrgreen:

I'm tempted to enter for round 3.
Round 3 is at a place called Minley Manor. I've never raced there but it's been described as "fast with woodsy singletrack and some exposed double track" so promises to be fun.

It's been good motivation to get back out riding again and despite hurting at the time I've enjoyed it.

I was thinking about going for the three hour but that's fat bikes only so that leaves 2 or 4 hours. Two hours of riding isn't a challenge, but 2 hours racing probably will be, but I'll probably go for the four hour just because.

EDIT: 4 hours it is Big Grin EDIT: God I hope the weather stays like this :oops:
Excellent stuff :mrgreen:

The times aren't definitive as if you complete a lap before your time is up you can start another one which will still be counted if that makes sense?