This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My bike is finished...
As you know i missed a couple of rides due to a broken bike, then illness... Finally got round to fitting all the bits to the bike this weekend and took it for its first spin round Blean this evening in the mud, so it no longer looks so shiney...

resim

resim

resim

I put some DT Swiss XR4.2 rims on XT hubs, Merlin build.
Also a whole new XT drivetrain including cranks, bb, front and rear derailluers cassette and chain. The brakes are Deore M535 hydros I put on last year with new XT discs, 180mm front and 160mm at the rear and Recon 327 Solo Air 120mm forks.

The frame is a 2003 or 2004 Claud Butler Cape Wrath, always loved the geometry and seat and bar set up so that has stayed the same. But everything else has now been upgraded. Will be spending the next few weeks enjoying it. I did all the work myself apart from the wheel build and facing the BB which i got the bike shop to do. Even shortened the hoses myself, have become quite the bike mechanic.

Must be the pimpest Cape Wrath out there, and i won't be doing anything else for the rest of the year unless something breaks! The best bit was being back out on the bike tonight! It is now filthy!
Looks great...  
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Looking good mate! You need to shorten the cable outer to the rear mech though to get rid of that ugly loop.

So are you riding on Wednesday? I should hopefully get mine built up tomorrow as long as the post office lets me pick the frame up and am able to get the headset and rear brake blead. Oh and if my hub has been repaired! Still a lot of if's there Undecided
Very nice Rou, looks really good.
Cheers guys, Andy i am guessing you are talking about the one by the seat post. Yep it is a bit long isn't it. Oddly enough thats a bit of original cable so i never thought to shorten it, but looking at it now it does need doing. I found shortening gear outer cable to be the most ball achey job known to man. Far more frustrating than hydro cable. Especially when you try and re thread the gear cable... Seeing as the rear mech will need adjusting i will wait till it goes out of alignment and do it all at the same time.

Defo up for riding on Wednesday Andy, count me in. Although i am worried that my fitness will have dropped considerably. I pretty much was in bed for two weeks hardly moving! I was alright last night, but Mary was keeping up going up the hills, so either i am really slow or somehow she has got faster... No doubt i'll find out on Wednesday night soon enough!
nice work matey, that's looking good. and all your own effort is always nice.
Keep it foolish...
Another "looks good" from me too Rou.

As for the fitness, don't worry about that, I'll be plodding along, trying to catch up with Nick & Andy as I haven't been out enough and have a bit of a cold at the mo.
Me and you can be the zonbie bait as usual then Ade! I'm looking forward to it, will miss the ride the week after as i'll be in Devon, and will miss most of March as i will be out the country. So need to make the most of the ones i can!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the bike!
&quot;Legless&quot; Wrote:Cheers guys, Andy i am guessing you are talking about the one by the seat post. Yep it is a bit long isn't it. Oddly enough thats a bit of original cable so i never thought to shorten it, but looking at it now it does need doing. I found shortening gear outer cable to be the most ball achey job known to man. Far more frustrating than hydro cable. Especially when you try and re thread the gear cable... Seeing as the rear mech will need adjusting i will wait till it goes out of alignment and do it all at the same time.

Defo up for riding on Wednesday Andy, count me in. Although i am worried that my fitness will have dropped considerably. I pretty much was in bed for two weeks hardly moving! I was alright last night, but Mary was keeping up going up the hills, so either i am really slow or somehow she has got faster... No doubt i'll find out on Wednesday night soon enough!
I actuually meant the one that goes into the rear mech, but yeah the other one is too long too Wink Do you have a proper hose cutter?  Don't worry about your fitness, i haven't ridden for two weeks, except riding to and from work, as i ahve been waiting that long for my rear hub to be fixed, only to get it back today and the freewheel barely turns at all! >Sad
How frustrating! Is that the one they "fixed"? Its a shadow rear mech, so if i made the hose any shorter near the rear mech the cable would need to do some serious right angles to get in. Or do you mean up the front? You'll have to point it out to me fella in the flesh! Looking forward to Wedneday, Andy i am sure if you have been riding towork you will be fitter than me! Still will be good to get out with team dogger again!