This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nettle stings
Whats the best thing for nettle stings witch might be in the kitchen cupboard (there are no dock leaves under the sink Tongue)

Just  come back from a ride both forearms and shins are buzzing or should I just mtfu.
welll you could p*ss on them ... or yeh just MTFU Tongue Big GrinBig Grin
"leadbasher" Wrote:Whats the best thing for nettle stings witch might be in the kitchen cupboard (there are no dock leaves under the sink Tongue)

Just  come back from a ride both forearms and shins are buzzing or should I just mtfu.

You should mtfu! Wussy Plumbers eh  Tongue

Unless you fancy peeing on yourself...
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:You should mtfu! Wussy Plumbers eh  Tongue

Unless you fancy peeing on yourself...

beat ya to it jonny boy Wink going to have to be a bit faster Big Grin
I used to wonder about that too.  But I've now been stung so many times that I don't really feel it any more.
IMHO, get out and let yourself get stung.  You'll soon not notice it.
I guess I'm probably the only one who finds nettle stings quite appetising?

I too got stung to absolute kingdom come when I went out a few hours ago.. It's the brambles that cause the problem, got arms to prove it now!
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Iam in my thirties but it seems to hurt more now than it did when i was a kid unless there are mutant nettles around here.
"leadbasher" Wrote:Iam in my thirties but it seems to hurt more now than it did when i was a kid unless there are mutant nettles around here.

[Smartass] There was a scientific study a while ago that did indeed determine that nettles have become more potent, but in most cases they have evolved/cross bred as it were. [/Smartass]

So yeah, they have become more potent.. And if you look really carefully, you can see that in some areas there is small nettles and big ones, these are infact 2 minorly different varities (small as in below the knee, big as in as big as you). The littles ones you can ride past without getting stung, the big ones will tear you to shreds.

I was looking at this earlier while out, and to back up what I say.. I got stung to crap on my arms.. Nothing on my legs, nor have I had any from the small ones for some time.
We were talking about this on the Kent Trails ride today, and apparently dock leaves are a placebo, i.e. they do nothing! You're just fooling yourself into thinking it is having an effect in the same way as scratching them helps for a few seconds. Anti histamine cream is the best thing to soothe them, but nothing will cure it immediately except time.

Oh and in my experience it is the small nettles that sting you the most, and my legs are currently buzzing away like mad with none on my arms. I accidentally stepped into a load of big nettles today and they didn't sting at all.
Witch hazel is the stuff to use methinks..... Altough I mtfu'd before I was a teenager so have no use for it.