This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New road bike questions
Well this may open me up to some criticism from the MTB part of the site, not that I have ridden for a long time :oops:

I did a few longer rides on my MTB eg the kent coast ride 94km etc and I really enjoyed them, also my dad has a road bike, so I would like to do more of those "sportives", but they are pretty much geared towards road bikes.

I went into evans in Maidstone on Saturday to sit on a few road bikes. I don't want anything fancy but something better than the 400 ones sold by halfords. I will go down the CTW scheme route so have 1000 to spend but don't want to spend that much.

So to geometries.

I already knew road bikes come in two formats pro (more stretched out lower riding position) and sportive (a more upright relaxed positioning). Now being a biker I already know about seat positioning and height (ie leg nearly straight and knee above the pedal as a good starting place), but I was told that when looking for a sportive type road bike a good test is if, sat on the bike with hands on the hoods, in normal riding position, your eye line should look through the bars and the front wheel axle should be hidden, or there abouts, obviously there is some variation in frame size to rider, but thats a good start. If you buy a sportive bike that is to big you will stretch yourself out and be in a more pro type position.

Does all this sound right to people? I know I have been offered rides from bike shops but I think having been on MTB for so long any road bike i jump on will feel strange and not sure how a ride will really help.

This is my leading contender so far, it felt comfortable in the shop and is on a good offer at the moment, plus CTW discount on that.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-6-tiagra-2014-road-bike-ec054417">http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec054417</a><!-- m -->
I'm also aware of that fitting rule of thumb. My current racy road bike does in fact fit like that. I'm not sure how different it will be on a bike that is 1cm shorter in the TT and 2cm taller in the HT, which is about the difference between pro and sportive geometry. It's perhaps reasonable to expect that since you move your head back and up the axle may move forward of the bars slightly, but I wouldn't think very much.

It's been a long time since I rode with you at SITS, but if I remember correctly you're about 6ft, or a hair under? Having shopped road bikes recently and looking closely at the Synapse Carbon, at 6ft a 56cm is the way to go. A 58 is too big unless you like a long, but high, reach. A 54 is likely too small. Also consider the Trek Domane, likely in a 58, but a 56 would also be reasonable. The bike you've linked is a good bike at a good price. It you wanted to spend the full 1K, there's a Synapse Disc 105 (11sp) for that price.
Thanks Yankee

56 is indeed the size that fitted me best. I have started the process of trying to get the cycle to work scheme sorted at work but our admin team is pretty useless.

I have looked at many many bikes but the cannondale synapse does seem to be the best combo of availability, size price, geometry, mudguard holes, looks etc

Hopefully with CTW it should work out at about £450, not bad for a £966 bike.

Just need to join some sketchy road rides now haha
I did the C2W last June & got the £1k Boardman carbon as we're stuck with Halfords.
I'm 6ft & went for the 56cm, fitted me like a glove from the very first sit & I kinda love it Wink

It wasn't light at 9kg with pedals (went with XT SPD's & new MTB shoes - didn't wanna clank about if walking) but it dropped 1.5lb with some new wheels from Merlin. They make it feel snappier & are super quiet, but haven't changed my times at all tbh.

The Synapse got some crackin reviews, so good choice. Worth checking out the Giant Defy also again great reviews & all come with discs now.
I borrowed a 56cm Defy Advanced 1 for a weekend & just could not get comfortable on it, adjusted saddle, bars & stack height loads but wasn't to be.

FTR I'm about £56 a month down on my pre-bike wages, so it'll cost about £670 all in - still a bargain but not £450, so check the figures dude.

Try to borrow your top choices for a day if at all possible, could make a huge difference Smile
Oh and welcome to the dark side :mrgreen:

p.s. Evernden Cycles in Paddock Wood (road opposite the Hop Farm) can setup loaning a Giant for a weekend if helpful.
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
Thanks for the information, I looked at a few more since and the cannondale still seems the best option and most comfortable from the fittings I have had.

"FTR I'm about £56 a month down on my pre-bike wages, so it'll cost about £670 all in - still a bargain but not £450, so check the figures dude. "

Its currently reduced to £664, hence the lower end price Wink
Bloody eck baldrick! £664 for that is a super-mega bargain!
I don't suppose the model up's also reduced & under your £1k limit? Big Grin

That'll be a total belter mate, enjoy.
Jay Dubster.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
Yeah I just hope work sort it out quick enough because its last years model so they will sell out.
Had any luck with this yet matey?
Jay Dubster.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
Its been approved and is now at the awaiting payment stage. It says this could take up to 30 days on the CTW website. Knowing our admin it will take at least that. Its been two weeks so far. Slightly anxious as its last years bike so may sell out if they don't hurry up. The would have to start all over again.
redwinnie Wrote:Its been approved and is now at the awaiting payment stage. It says this could take up to 30 days on the CTW website. Knowing our admin it will take at least that. Its been two weeks so far. Slightly anxious as its last years bike so may sell out if they don't hurry up. The would have to start all over again.

Cant you go in & pay a holding deposit