This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick's brakes thread
After posting on STW i have a number of offers for sets of brakes...

Juicy 5s, brand new £125
Avid Elixir, carbon levers, sapre pads, used £130
Hayes Stroker Ryde, used price up for negotiation
Juicy 5s, used with sticking piston so need a service and re-bleed.  Complete with some semi used pads and bleed kit.  Price up for negotiation but i'd imagine not too expensive

Anyone see anything that stands out?  I like the sound of the Elixirs but i'm a mug for carbon.  I'd work on the price too as i may be able to collect.
I'd go for the Elixir's, as they are more powerful than Juicy 5's and it is easier to change the pads. That's a good price too considering how new they are. I would get them if i had the money. Which model are they, are they the ones with bite point adjustment?
What's the difference between juicy's and Elixirs?  They are Elixir R if that makes any difference.  Hmm i'm tempted by these if i can get him to budge on the price...
OK now i'm really confused - they seem lighter, cheaper and more powerful than a Juicy 7.  Surely only 2 of the 3 should be true?  Are they new - i've not really heard of them before
"pittgoat" Wrote:What's the difference between juicy's and Elixirs?  They are Elixir R if that makes any difference.  Hmm i'm tempted by these if i can get him to budge on the price...
Is it these ones?  I thought they replaced the Juicy range, but just checked and they are still listing Juicy 09 models, so i guess they are the next model up. Either way, they are more powerfull than Juicy's and you change the pads from the top instead of the bottom so theoretically you can change the pads without taking the wheel off. Michael has the CR's on his Turner (same but with bit point adjuster) and he thinks they are much better than Juicy's. If that is £130 for the pair i would definitly go for them. I would be very jealous though which would force me to buy some myself Wink
Yep its those - the other model seem to have that bite point adjuster but are way more expensive.  I might go for these - i'll see what the guy says abotu price and whether i can save a few quid by collecting them as i'm driving up to the midlands this weekend anyway
IIRC, the "tool-free" adjustment involves a turn of the lever-cable-barrel-thingy....  Just like on good old-fashioned V's
Whoop whoop!  I'm now the proud owner of a set of Avid Elixir R brakes with carbon level blades.  Did i mention i like carbon?  They come with a spare set of pads and i got them for £120 posted.  Happy days!  ;D
"pittgoat" Wrote:Whoop whoop!  I'm now the proud owner of a set of Avid Elixir R brakes with carbon level blades.  Did i mention i like carbon?  They come with a spare set of pads and i got them for £120 posted.  Happy days!  ;D
Nice one Wink  At least now you'll have something to talk about on your date on Wednesday Tongue
"pittgoat" Wrote:Whoop whoop!  I'm now the proud owner of a set of Avid Elixir R brakes with carbon level blades.  Did i mention i like carbon?  They come with a spare set of pads and i got them for £120 posted.  Happy days!  ;D
You lucky sod, i'm not jealous at all much  I think they would look better on my bike and you should give tham to me as an early birthday present Wink

I'm very board :Smile