This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pace
Guys - Can ANYONE clarify "Pace" to me?

Now Im a normal bloke and see "Average Speed" as my Pace, my rough speed across the course.

On Garmins etc, you also have Pace which is a different figure...

What is Pace and what determines it?

Discus.....  Smile
On my Nokia Sports Tracker it clarifies pace as a minutes per mile figure. Last night for instance the pace was quite slow as we got a bit lost. Our average was 10.51 mins per mile. But maximum was 2.04 mins per mile. The Nokia Sports tracker doesn't allow for stopping time, like some garmin devices. So this "pace" includes stopping to cough your lungs up, getting lost, finding people and getting lost again and going round in circles...

Last wednesday with Nick up front ;-) we hit a pace average of 9.04 minutes per mile but then last week it was minus 6 so we hardly stopped and we didn't once get lost. Our maximum pace was 2.51 minutes per mile.

Before Christmas i did a 17 miler round Blean with Mary and we had an average pace of 8.16 minutes per mile, which is pretty fast, but we never actually hit a huge top speed, just did it slowly but non stop. Our maximum pace that day was 4.15 minutes per mile, which is nothing compared to riding with the "dogging boys" as she put it. Yet it would seem sometimes the tortoise is faster than the hare ;-)

I think Pace is a better measurement than average speed as it is easier to shave seconds and minutes off the pace than it is to increase the speed by a whole unit over a longer course...
Pace includes all the stops you put in, average speed is only when your wheels are turning, if your riding is non stop average speed is better if you stop a lot pace would be a better indicator.
Nice definition Jon. I suppose it comes down to what device you have and how it records it. My old Garmin used to stop recording pretty much every time it stopped, but then it never gave me pace details...