This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedal fell off - warranty advice
Hi all,

A bit of advice needed from the more technically minded folk here

A while back whilst riding along, the left pedal came off my road bike. On close inspection the thread had stripped from the arm of the non driveside crank. I was unable to refit the pedal and rode home 1 legged. The thread got a bit mangled when trying to refit the pedal by the road...

The pedals were fitted mid 2014 and had given no issues before then. Shimano offer a 2 year warranty on parts - I had already replaced the cranks but returned the offending item to pursue the warranty

The response was:

"We regret that we are unable to accept this claim, as this is not deemed a manufacturing defect. Unfortunately this type of damage will only happen when either over tightened, bike ridden with the pedals loose
or the pedal threads have been installed incorrectly when fitting the pedals then when the bike is ridden the pedals will become loose causing the pedals to pull taking the threads with it"

The pedal wasn't overtightened. It was fitted the way I fit all my pedals. My question is - do they have an argument here or are they fobbing me off? Can a loose pedal fail in this way? I'm pretty certain it wasn't loose but am at a loss for an argument on how to respond

Thoughts appreciated Smile
It isn't a warranty issue I'm afraid, they are bang on. It was more than likely loose.
Think you were right in giving it a go on the warranty, but also think they are probable right, if there was a fault with the tread you would have probable noticed it at the point of fitting the pedals the first time. just one of those unlucky things to go wrong. Cry
Maybe one to chalk down to experience in that case...

Sad