This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real name or username
When I post on here i seem to randomly use usernames or the persons real name, the latter more so as I get to know people better and others do this as well. Is there a danger that this would put off new members as they would see it as being a close knit thing and be scared for want of a better word or find it confusing at least so....

Does anyone care what im writing (lol)
Should we just use usernames when talking about any forum members
Or just do what you want and use real names as and when you want

PS: I never call people by their forum name on rides although people do it to me lol. It could potentially be dangerous as I often read Bens name wrong without the M probably due to my dodgy mind so would end up calling him by the long version of BJ, "Oi bl0wjob boy" etc
i try to stick to forumnames on the forum as it is open for all to see and its a bit weird being on the internet.
Keep it foolish...
It can go either way, using real names could make it more personal and make them feel we all know each other.
i try to stick to forum names on the forum and real names on the rides ... but i get so used to calling breezer on here breezer it sticks when i meet him :B and vice versa for the forum !
I use real names for people i know, just because it feels weird using forum names when i know their real name, but if the consensus deems this as confusing i'll happily go with the flow.
Will steve have to change his forum name  so we dont get it confused with his real name.
"leadbasher" Wrote:Will steve have to change his forum name  so we dont get it confused with his real name.

I always call Steve by his username as I do "Andy" whos also signed up - they both hate it, its embarassing.

I think its when the context allows, if the discussion is between the regular users who are all familiar with themselves then I deem first names acceptable.

If its a new thread with mixed users or discussing something with new or unfamiliar members, then usernames are more common sense to be used.

Although one member "Breezer" seems to have his name stuck quite firmly, everyone calls him that regardless - perhaps coz its a good name(?) or the fact not everyone know's his name?

There are several John/Jon's and Andys on here so we may need clarification on some occasions if referring to peoples real names.

I dont give a toss either way to be honest........  Tongue
"leadbasher" Wrote:Will steve have to change his forum name  so we dont get it confused with his real name.

but steve is my real name  Undecided stevet1992 makes sense Big Grin
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I always call Steve by his username as I do "Andy" whos also signed up - they both hate it, its embarassing.

I think its when the context allows, if the discussion is between the regular users who are all familiar with themselves then I deem first names acceptable.

If its a new thread with mixed users or discussing something with new or unfamiliar members, then usernames are more common sense to be used.

Although one member "Breezer" seems to have his name stuck quite firmly, everyone calls him that regardless - perhaps coz its a good name(?) or the fact not everyone know's his name?

There are several John/Jon's and Andys on here so we may need clarification on some occasions if referring to peoples real names.

I dont give a toss either way to be honest........  Tongue
Big Grin alright BJBOY Tongue
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Big Grin alright BJBOY Tongue

Felt like I was 11 years old again then....... when another small child in class put my intitials together to much hilarity............ :Smile