This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Shock
OK, can someone give me advice on how to set up my rear shock? I have no idea where to start with this!

Steve, can I pop in on my way home from work and borrow your pump? About 17:45 ish?
This will give you an idea...

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Set-up-...g-66769207

You want to set up your shock so that when on the bike in the "attack" position, the shock is compressed by apporox 25% of total travel - best to have a mate help you spot it.

Add/Remove air to get it right.

Rebound is a bit more personal taste, if you ride of a kurb you shouldnt "bounce" around or be chucked up in the air - you may want to play around with it until you find some mid-range of rebound.

If youve just come from a HT and this is your first FS, it will feel weird whatever you do - took me ages to adjust, and I still like a firmer ride even now.
Which I believe I said in the bike thread Smile

Does bug me that they dont give you shock pumps with bikes or not in my experience anyway or a spare mech hanger for that matter
Yeh, shouldve got a shock pump with it!

I now have 3 for some reason...... and didnt buy any of them.
Rear shock should rebound slow, best bet is to set it at the lowest then give it a few clicks back and play around with it to suite. Think i ride with 2 clicks from slowest on a Fox RP23
Depends on where you are riding, I have mine slow like you say at some places but you need to speed it up ie less damping at rootier/bumpier places else it will pack down
your rear shock sag should be measured sat on the bike, fork sag is measured in the attack position.

25% for XC 30% for all mountain (plush). these are just general percentages, some shocks need more sag to get the most out of them and or to improve the head angle.
rebound should be as fast as possible without getting thrown out of the saddle.
a good starting point is to ride of a curb. you want it to bounce once, if it pogos rebound is to fast. if it slowly goes back to normal rebound is to slow.
I have rebound settings on my shocks?????