This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear mech broken
Well on wednesdays ride i appeared to have broken my rear mech. I have only had the bike around 3/4 weeks. So should i take it back to halfords to get it fixed, or buy a new one and fix it myself  (i would not have the first clue where to start). What do you think i should do ??
"cruiser1000" Wrote:Well on wednesdays ride i appeared to have broken my rear mech. I have only had the bike around 3/4 weeks. So should i take it back to halfords to get it fixed, or buy a new one and fix it myself  (i would not have the first clue where to start). What do you think i should do ??

Do it yourself.... It's easy and removes the risk of Halfords faffing it up... Like they did with SteveT's forks :o
Exactly what is broken with it? is it physically broken or is it just not shifting well?
"cruiser1000" Wrote:Well on wednesdays ride i appeared to have broken my rear mech. I have only had the bike around 3/4 weeks. So should i take it back to halfords to get it fixed, or buy a new one and fix it myself  (i would not have the first clue where to start). What do you think i should do ??

take it back to halfords and try to blag one from them ... worth a try

did you receive the link i sent you ? buy one of them and you wont have to worry about breaking one again
are you sure its the rear mech and not the mech hanger thats broken ?

if it is the mech its a costly replacement unfortunatly Sad about £40 for a X7, whats broken on it ? as i have loads of part broken X7 rear mechs hanging around Big Grin
Well i think its just bent. Thats what someone on wednesday said. I might try and bend it back but dont want to completely mess it up
"cruiser1000" Wrote:Well i think its just bent. Thats what someone on wednesday said. I might try and bend it back but dont want to completely mess it up

think that was your mech hanger then matey, think i PM'ed you with a link to a stronger one as the halfords one are made of cheese Big Grin
If your going to bend back your mech hanger best bet is to use an allen key through the main bolt onto the hanger and bend it that way, they are quite fragile so go careful with it. Once they've bent once they tend to be weakened and bend a lot easier in future. Doubt you managed to bend your mech as your hanger should bend first.