This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rider Position
ok ive had the same problem for a while now, my saddle is as far back as it can go on the rails yet i still find half my arse hanging off the back, i originally put this down to the saddle but after changing it i still have the same problems

its now come to my attention that it may be the shorter stem on the banshee pushing me back further in the saddle so i can get outstretched arms, am i right in thinking this ?

if so i suppose the option is to swap out the stem for a longer one, but this will affect the turning of the bike right ?, is there something i can do to stop me losing this turnability ?

if im wrong what is up with the position ? Undecided
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:ok ive had the same problem for a while now, my saddle is as far back as it can go on the rails yet i still find half my arse hanging off the back, i originally put this down to the saddle but after changing it i still have the same problems

its now come to my attention that it may be the shorter stem on the banshee pushing me back further in the saddle so i can get outstretched arms, am i right in thinking this ?

if so i suppose the option is to swap out the stem for a longer one, but this will affect the turning of the bike right ?, is there something i can do to stop me losing this turnability ?

if im wrong what is up with the position ? Undecided

Several things here...

1  your arse is too big

2  outtretched arms... they should be bent

3  a longer ste will slow down the steering

4  your frame is too small

Personally i'd rather get a aid back seat post than increase the lengh of your stem but both options will affect the bikes handling and ride...

A longer stem will bring your weight forward thus puting more weight over the front which can aid working the forks and driing the bike through corners but it does slow down the steering...

A laid back seat post brings your weight back which makes the front lighter which can make it wander on climbs and makes it hard to weight the forks but helps on steep downs and makes manualling or lifting the front easier...
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:Several things here...

1  your arse is too big

2  outtretched arms... they should be bent

3  a longer ste will slow down the steering

4  your frame is too small

Personally i'd rather get a aid back seat post than increase the lengh of your stem but both options will affect the bikes handling and ride...

A longer stem will bring your weight forward thus puting more weight over the front which can aid working the forks and driing the bike through corners but it does slow down the steering...

A laid back seat post brings your weight back which makes the front lighter which can make it wander on climbs and makes it hard to weight the forks but helps on steep downs and makes manualling or lifting the front easier...
cheers for the quick reply nigel !

1) ill take that as a compliment Wink

when riding onroad i have my arms outstretched offroad they are bent i think :Smile

i have enough troubles on the climbs as it is so think ill go for changing the stem, i think we've got a FSA stem hanging around in the garage thats longer then mine so will shove that on and take both to blean, if i get annoyed by the slow steering ill swap back
Longer stem will just ruin it. I presume you studied the geometry figures and in particular the top tube length compared to your old bike before buying the new one? If you dont have a laid back seat post then buy one. It will of course effectively slacken the seat angle but you can always shift yourself forward on the climbs to compensate.
Agreed, your arms shouldn't be outstretched when riding normally in the saddle. Best bet is to get the saddle in the right position for peddling, then worry about the stem and bars. Park Tools has a good guide to setting up your riding position.
&quot;TooYoungToKnow&quot; Wrote:cheers for the quick reply nigel !

1) ill take that as a compliment Wink

when riding onroad i have my arms outstretched offroad they are bent i think :Smile

i have enough troubles on the climbs as it is so think ill go for changing the stem, i think we've got a FSA stem hanging around in the garage thats longer then mine so will shove that on and take both to blean, if i get annoyed by the slow steering ill swap back

Don't rush swapping back asyoull adapt over a couple of rides...  

Let me know what length stem you have and i'll see if i've got anything in the lock up... i'm always putting shorter stems on so have some kicking about

Breezer makes a good point
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
ive tried the park tools guide, it made it slightly better but still to no avail

ive fitted a IBM stem on there now (only one we had for oversized bars) and it does shift me forward so my whole fat arse is on the saddle, will take it out on the road tomorrow and if i dont like it ill swap back

cheers for the advice will see how the longer stem goes ... if i dont get that looks like its another bloody seatpost  >Sad
What size is your old stem and what size is the one you have just put on?
&quot;Buzz&quot; Wrote:What size is your old stem and what size is the one you have just put on?

old stem was around 80mm IIRC new one being 110mm, will take both to blean if i hate it it only takes a minute to swap over
110? People havent used them since before you were born. Why did you buy an inline seatpost to replace the one you broke when you knew about this position issue?