This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDG I Beam Saddle and Post System
After bending my seat post a few weeks back i needed a new one and my old 2003 saddle had seen better days.

I came across the SDG I Beam Saddle and post system, on average about 200 grams lighter than a standard set up, yet not as ridiculously expensive as going for carbon. Plus i saw a cheap one on the web so thought i would give it a shot.

First impressions were damn that is light, i actually can't believe how light the saddle is. It uses a resin I Beam instead of the normal rails this saves on weight and also give it more adjustment possibilities.

The downsides are that apparently it is uncomfy...

I have the SDG Bel Air SL saddle on the post and i must admit the first bump i hit the saddle felt like it punched my groin. So i spent a good ten minutes playing with the angles and the for aft position until i had it right. Rode it for an hour or so to break it in and i honestly can't tell the difference between the I Beam and the old set up for comfort.

Time will tell over a long ride, but at the moment i am a convert to the I Beam system, of course it may break or something horrible could happen, but at the moment it has saved some weight and seems to be working fine.

Not seen anyone else using it, of course once you have it it limits your saddle choice, but SDG make some pretty damn fine saddles so i'm not bothered.
The bell air is my new favorite saddle, and i need a new seat post so when this one dies i might give the ibeam system a go, especially as i want to shed some weight too. I guess with a full suss the fact it is less springy than rails isn't much of an issue.... Will be interested in how you get on with it.  How much were they?
Was a bit of a weird one on the price, Merlin had the saddle and seatpost for £29 as a special offer, couldn't get them separately, but the seatpost was 31.6 and the wrong size. But CRC had the seatpost for £32 so i got two seatposts, one which is of no use. But it still worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the sadlle for £54 (RRP £69) and the seatpost for £32 from the CRC site...

Gonna put the spare seatpost on ebay but i don;'t fancy my chances, it is about as specific as you can get, which is why Merlin were bumping them off so cheap with a free sadlle!