This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shimano XC50N SPD Shoe
Very poor durability, very poor water resistance, avoid unless you're a fair weather cyclist.

I guess I've had these for three years, they were a Christmas present. Great fit, comfortable, light weight, I was very pleased with them, but six months in and their lack of durability was pretty obvious.

My first pair of SPD shoes I ever bought - I guess at least eight years ago - are still going strong (except I had to take insole out after shrinking the rubber toe cap on radiator) and showing very few signs of their age and cost less than half the price. It's only that I'm now looking at new shoes, that my bitterness about these has surfaced and I want to warn others away from buying them - unless you're a fair weather cyclist for whom dropping off a curb is getting big air.

Here's a photo I took this evening - three years of regular use:
resim

Just to reiterate:
Very poor durability, very poor water resistance, avoid unless you're a fair weather cyclist.
They're in a worse state than my cheap-as-chips Muddy Fox specials. I only use them on the commuter but as they're about as waterproof as my pants (mesh toes) I've encased the toes in black gaffer tape, even removing the football boot type toes studs, wrapping it underneath and refitting the studs. I'm not fussed by breathability as my commute has never been more than 40 minutes but I may try something new for this winter, I'm thinking about painting the mesh toe section with copydex or some other flexy glue to see if I can seal them.

Sorry to ramble all over your thread.
Keep it foolish...
I wouldn't have been so bothered by these shoes, but they're supposedly 'sealed'...
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piq0-I7tfk[/bbvideo]