This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So What Are We ?
well after having to start looking at uni's (starting us off early or what !) im currently writing the most boring thing ever ... my personal statement and im left with a question

Is Sketchy MTB a cycling club ?  or is it just a website where loads of blokes( and a few ladys!) talk on the internet and spend all there spare time mocking each other  Big Grin

just for reference i put us down as a club on the personal statement ... just because it will make me look better  Wink hope you dont mind ade  :K)
I suppose technically we're more of a 'group', but abit more than a casual once a week meet up..
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
A collective?
well we are soon to have jerseys so i would say definetly more then a casual dog ride in the woods Big Grin
And when we start wearing them, we need to remember that young'ens and ladiez may end-up checking out the site so we're gonna have to be stricter on language and sexism.

[sub]begin flaming ---- NOW[/sub]
"impished" Wrote:And when we start wearing them, we need to remember that young'ens and ladiez may end-up checking out the site so we're gonna have to be stricter on language and sexism.

[sub]begin flaming ---- NOW[/sub]

i thought that was what you mods where there for to sort us lot out Wink ONCE we get them ill try and stop my offtopic posts ... like this one as a matter of fact Big Grin
See my response to gilesey welcoming him, I kinda summed it up in a humourous but to the point way.

Just my twopenneth, but "we" should not be a club in my view, but appear to be rapidly becoming one organically.

Sketchy needs to be a resource, not a club, as that hints at joining and commitment of which "noobs" won't do if new to the sport.

Sketchy was born to assist all southeast riders new, old or whatever to post questions, musings and comments.

From the outset sketchy does look like a club, but maybe because it has such diehard and dedicated users(?) I think those users should work hard to promote the site as a tool to getting out riding in the southeast and help win all those maintenance issues.
Club by defination would involve some sort of membership dues, as we don't do this i see ourselves as more of a collective of likeminded individuals, with a common theme.
Even so... we dont want to deter new users/riders by thinking we are a even a collective/club.

Hopefully we can redress the balance in terms of ensuring the site is a totally open access site and not perceived as a club site - for the new reader, Im sure the prospect and first impression is that Sketchy is a Club.

Like I say, it probably already is a club in its loosest term, ie regular rides, meets, racing, jerseys etc - but the whole purpose is to bring information about Southeast Biking to anyones and everyone.
so more a community then club?