This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Wheel Advice Please
yes i need even more advice  :B

now that im not riding due to the finger ive decided to do some research into my next upgrade - wheels:
my budget is £200 so that leaves me with two things:

build some hope pro 2's into my singletracks (my dad knows someone that will build them for free if i buy through them) : ~ £180
or
buy a complete wheelset, any suggestions ?

what's going to be the better option, and if the second option any suggestions?
You can buy a complete set of ProII wheels from CRC for £200 although different rims add a bit. Had no issues with mine, not touched them in over 2 years unlike the Halo rear on the Inbred which has a dodgy freewheel due to bad sealing. Its front wheel is an ancient Hope Bulb on a mavic rim which hasnt needed truing in 4 years. Most Hope hubs have the benefit that for £15 or so you can change them to accept that weeks new standard and you can replace the bearings for about £3 off ebay, no faffing with cup and cone nonsense. Still on the original bearings on mine which incedentally I should either use or sell, how about you buy them for £199 lol
Are you actually going to listen to peoples advice this time Wink  Personnally concidering the type of riding you do (jumps etc) i would build the Pro 11's intothe Singletracks. I love my rims and they have lasted a long time with hardly any damage and survived my clumsy and heavy riding so far. The only reason i am going to change them is because i intend to go tubeless, and want to get UST everything to avoid all the problems people seem to have after converting non tubeless rims, and to loose i little weight as Mavic 819's are 100g lighter than Singletracks. If you want to change the rims then i would suggest some UST's in case you want to go tubeless in the future.

I could have just wasted 2 minuets of my life here :Smile
Not only is tubeless pointless and awful but my shed now stinks of p1ss due to what is probably infact french urine which was used to seal my god awful HEAVY tyres that came on the Zesty that I have since replaced with tyres that grip and inner tubes
I know lots of people that run tubeless with UST rims and tires and they have had no problems whatsoever. As i sad above it's only people that have converted non tubeless rims that have all the problems.
no i am actually going to listen  :B everytime ive ignored the advice from you lot ive ended up buying something 2nd best  Undecided

just asked my dad about the offer and he said that i would most likely have to pay for spokes and nipples some maybe its going to be worth the extra money just buying a new set from CRC ?
i wont be doing as much jumps as before now, so i was looking into getting a slightly lighter rims any good ones to look at?

another hub that ive seen is the sun disc jockey any views ?
Wasnt saying there were problems with tubeless setups just that I find them pointless and my shed stinks  Big Grin

No idea Steve. Suggest googling and have a look at owner reviews on mtbr.com etc but a set of Pro II's on some semi strong and wideish rims would be my choice for you. They will have the added benefit of making you much fitter as the freehub is SO LOUD to begin with that you have to keep pedalling else you get a headache although its excellent for warning ramblers when you get within 50 metres of them
One thing with Pro II's whilst I remember, the freehub body is made of cheese and you can only use cassettes where the largest 5 cogs or something are on a spider like XT's. Buzz knows more about this as listed all the correct ones before so you may need a new cassette if you got them. The Slx one I just put on the Inbred wouldnt be suitable as only the top 3 are joined iirc. You may be able to get steel freehub bodies but im not sure. You havent had the bike long so could probably get away with just swapping the cassette and not the chain and rings as well but then its going to be another £30 odd or more on top of the wheels
Yeah you can get steel Pro 11 freehub bodies. I had to replace mine with a steel one recently after the bearings exploded, and it's pretty expensive at £53.
Disc Jocky hubs are quite good i think, are they not more expensive than Pro 11's though. and i like noisy hubs as i like scaring people when i freewheel right behind them. One guy literally jumped into a hedge once even though i was still 100 yards behind him Big Grin
"Treehugger" Wrote:Yeah you can get steel Pro 11 freehub bodies. I had to replace mine with a steel one recently after the bearings exploded, and it's pretty expensive at £53.
Disc Jocky hubs are quite good i think, are they not more expensive than Pro 11's though. and i like noisy hubs as i like scaring people when i freewheel right behind them. One guy literally jumped into a hedge once even though i was still 100 yards behind him Big Grin

disc jockeys are on chain reaction in the custom lot at about £120 for the pair!

so any suggestions on rims, would love to get  some nice new rims with new hubs 8) im currently lost trying to understand mavics naming system ... XM317 719 etc Undecided