This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swinley Forest
Heard great things about Swinley so made the trip up yesterday with my son to check it out & see what the fuss was about! We struck out in the morning for a lap of the Blue route before lunch, then hit the Red route in the afternoon, It's an awesome venue and well worth the trip.

The blue route is well signposted and very well drained, the track is virtually cobbled in places so quite slippy in damp conditions & a little uncomfortable on a hardtail but better than being claggy. It's a good 6½ mile ride with some very entertaining sections of climb, descend, berm, pump & rollers.

The red route starts ½ way around the blue and is having a lot of work done so there are clearly marked diversions in place ...

It lures you in... The diversion takes you up fire track until marker post 11 and I was just beginning to think it was becoming a boring, long unchallenging ride when it kicked in!!!!

OH-MY-GOD! Some of the most awesome trails I've ever seen with plenty to keep the experienced rider happy without being too much for a novice to cope with.

Mostly the trails are well signposted as well as the diversions, but unfortunately the Orange downhill & freeride sections aren't clearly marked so we missed them completely & by the time we realised we didn't have the energy to strike out to try & find them. (Hopefully we'll stumble across them next time)

Little café does ok Coffee/Tea and nice sausage baguettes, nowt spectacular and a tad overpriced for what you get but tasty enough.

The cycle shop "The Hub" were very nice and approachable for a chat. They have all Whyte bikes in their rental fleet and if you prebook can hire a Whyte T-130 or T-129 for £30/3hrs.

In all we had a phenomenal day and will definitely return, if only the Orange sections were more clearly marked it could have been even better.
Nice write up. Glad you enjoyed it!!
a few of us where there on the Monday also .....

The freeride bit is just after the biggest climb of the red route (theres a big wooden stake at the top)