This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanet Rides
Are there any Thanet locals around who want to meet up for local rides?

I know it's not thrilling, but when you live here and don't often have time to drive somewhere half decent, a ride around Thanet is better than not riding at all, and infact I quite enjoyed the 17 mile ride I had today from Margate down to Minnis Bay and back through Acol - quite a lot of seafront and roads but there's a few hidden bits to liven it up for second or two. There's no tree cover either so no unavoidable slop at all (given the wind chance to blow it all away that is).

I'm up for evening/night rides and w/e rides. Post here if interested. Thanks.
I was looking around the internet a couple a weeks ago for the Viking Trail trail centre in Suffolk (where a mate rides) and stumbled across the Viking Trail in Planet Thanet... Looks like a nice ride that I'd like to do some day.

Down side is I live in Hastings so it's a bit of a trek, nevertheless I'm up for making the effort if there's a group ride on some time.

My goal this year is to hit as many different venues as possible so this could be one chalked off.

I work shifts, so it can be better for me to head over on a weekday just after the kids have gone to school, and make a day of it.
Yeah the Viking trail isn't really what I'm talking about, its not really mountain biking in any sense.
Ahhhh right, nothing like local knowledge saving a long journey to disappointment... Still up for a Thanet venue occasionally if one is arranged.
I have Friday afternoons free and usually extend my ride home from work. Meet opposite Jolly Farmer, Manston village 1:45pm, FRIDAY THIRTEENTH for 1.5 ~ 2 hour ride. May be able to come to some other arrangement re time and place. Let me know if you intend to come along as I won't wait around otherwise. Thanks.
Rolled past meeting point about 1:45 no signs of other mtbrs (no surprise). Route was roughly 13.5 miles from Manston to Margate, fairly coastal, 1hr 15.
Thursday 19th evening for 1.5 to 2hr ride. Meet at 5pm on playing field on Spratling street (Preston road end) to ride at 5:15pm. Bring lights. Let me know in advance if coming along.
Maybe a good thing no one joined me as the ride ended with a rather high ratio of artificial surface (ie tarmac/concrete) to natural surface. Cut the intended loop short as it was too long to do within 2 hours, but only way to do that was via roads which I had never before remembered being as long as they seemed tonight in the rain and dark. Saved the bridleway down to shottendane rd until last so wind would be behind me, but conditions were too slippery for the advantage. 17 miles, 1.75hrs.