This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Not So Wonderful Words Of Headsets ...
ok so im wanting to build the vulcan up now to become a bike used for commuting on and racing ... but one problem ... can i find the crown race for the headset NO!.  after a post on BR and a call to halfrauds im told that i cant just buy a new race as that would be to plain and simple really, and halfords dont stock them and wont even do a special order in on them  >Sad

so im left completely bemused by headsets now ... it says i have a semi intergrated one but when looking on chain reactions mine look nothing like the ones on there, there is nothing external about it just 1 or 2 cartridge bearings, definetly know there is one on the top of the headtube and i think logically there is one on the bottom of the downtube, there is no external bits what so ever, is this still an semi intergrated headset ?? will upload some photos sunday as the frame is currently with my dad

so just by misplacing one bit of metal im left £15 out of pocket for the headset and another £15 just to fit the damn thing !
So all you need is a crown race? If you know the angle of the bearing cup you "could" find one, I must have 4 here! It's a nightmare finding the right one if info is sparse, I went through it with the trance.

I can bring my spare/loose ones along for you to look at
"BMJBOY" Wrote:So all you need is a crown race? If you know the angle of the bearing cup you "could" find one, I must have 4 here! It's a nightmare finding the right one if info is sparse, I went through it with the trance.

I can bring my spare/loose ones along for you to look at

knowing halfords they will be some super dodgy ones  :Smile i think im just going to ram a new headset on there, thanks for the offer though mate Smile

anyone got any ideas on this whole semi intergrated crap then ?
im scared ... popped into various bike shops around kent and none had any crown races i could even try to match up (not there fault really) last ditch attempt i walked into halfords frame in hand and within 5 minutes i walked out £2 poorer with a nice new crown race
;D
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:im scared ... popped into various bike shops around kent and none had any crown races i could even try to match up (not there fault really) last ditch attempt i walked into halfords frame in hand and within 5 minutes i walked out £2 poorer with a nice new crown race
;D

Thats what's called a result - expecting to pay lots, spending very little.