This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time of the day...
I recall someone somewhere or some article relating to fitness/weight loss and the time of the day BEST to do your training.

Now, Im and early doors kind of man, not to be confused with a back doors kind of man...

resim

Id much rather get up at 6am and go for an hours blast before work, than break my day up by training at another time.

Does anyone know of any information supporting or disapproving of training as soon as you get up?

Theory would suggest that weight loss is assisted as you would be riding on empty(ish).

But I also recall reading that you should train at the warmest part of the day, but thats merely impractical during the week.

Thoughts?
I've heard a lot about when is best to train but as far as i'm concerned i'm happiest training whenever i find the time and inclination.  Some will say early morning is the best time, others will say its the worst.  It also depends what you're trying to achieve (muscle gain / weight loss etc).  Training after a large meal is obviously not the best idea.  I tend to have most energy mid to late morning but again it varies.

If its too early i often suffer more from a stiff back as it hasn't had a chance to settle down, but my back can be a little dodgy anyway - short hamstrings i'm told.

Interesting article here
To be honest, my questioning is complete bunk....

MY time to train is in the mornings - and I hope to squeeze in some evenings when things get lighter.

Clearly that article suggests that you are at a peak in the afternoon - but Im not racing nor trying to set a record, merely training - getting the miles in, and hopefully losing some weight.

A 10-15 mile ride in the mornings (not every morning) will suffice for now, alongside the weekend and introduced evening rides.

There will be only about 10% off-road riding as theres nothing around here - but I do have some cliffs to cycle UP which will see me good for power.

Coming down would take all of 30secs! (boo!)
I simply cannot ride really early in the morning and for the first 30 minutes or so of every "proper" ride I am dead. No idea why, it just seems to take me a long time to get going. I seem to be able to ride reasonably fast but HR is higher than usual and out of breath and feeling of death is great increased. Get 1.5-2 hours into a ride and I feel fresher than at the start!!
"Breezer" Wrote:I simply cannot ride really early in the morning and for the first 30 minutes or so of every "proper" ride I am dead. No idea why, it just seems to take me a long time to get going. I seem to be able to ride reasonably fast but HR is higher than usual and out of breath and feeling of death is great increased. Get 1.5-2 hours into a ride and I feel fresher than at the start!!

Im absolutly the same as you then, Ive no idea why either - The start of our regular route is 3 miles of uphill - it kills me!.  After about 1hr of riding i also feel stronger and faster paced than when I start.  Maybe because we have office jobs??? - Using zero lung capacity all day then going riding at an intense level - perhaps it takes a while for lungs to adjust.  My breathing suffers early on in rides.

My friend is the opposite, starts well, but then slows to a more medium/slow pace, but stays at that level for ages.

I dont think its mornings, I just think its the way I am.

My mate has a theory if we are "2 lapping" at the enduro that our second lap's will be faster than our first due to this effect.
With the Gorrick races I always make sure I do a practise lap although at very slow speed with walking the steep hills then as I normally finish that about 30 minutes or more before going to the start, I do a quick 5 minute high rpm spin round the car park on route to the start line.

With the exception of the races where its been incredibly boggy and so far more tiring, quite often my lap times are within a minute of each other despite it feeling at the time like I am riding slower on the 2nd lap and struggling to keep my HR up.

A heart rate monitor may be a useful purchase for you. I am not that fit at all but I can use mine on rides and more so the races to judge my Pace. I know that as long as I keep it around 190-195 I can continue at that pace for 80 minutes or so with just the odd burst over 200 on the hills. If I find the average creeping up to and over 200 I have to back off to avoid bonking (correct term I believe heh) later on
Ive got a HR strap with my Garmin 305 - time to get it up and running then - the Garmin does all sorts of wonderful "zone" based training thingamees - never used it!

I think you can set alerts and time trails for working within different HR levels.
"Breezer" Wrote:I simply cannot ride really early in the morning and for the first 30 minutes or so of every "proper" ride I am dead. No idea why, it just seems to take me a long time to get going. I seem to be able to ride reasonably fast but HR is higher than usual and out of breath and feeling of death is great increased. Get 1.5-2 hours into a ride and I feel fresher than at the start!!
I was the same yesterday. Rode from my place in Whitstable to Blean to meet the Kent Trails lot and i felt bloody knackered and expecting to bail before the end of the ride, but half hour later i had loads of energy and was right up the front the whole ride 8) It's strange how your body works Undecided

As regards training, i rode for about 2 hours (roughly 20 miles) for about a year solid and lost over 3 stone in that time, and always felt i had more energy in the evening. I tried riding before work a couple of times, and although it was nice riding along watching the sun come up, i felt crap and haven't done it again since.
Ive done morning riding before in training for the L2B a couple of years ago and more recently for our Afan trip.

Never felt bad, just good to be out, but I agree I would probably be a lot better if riding in the afternoon or early evening.

Im not drinking (alcohol) now for the forseeable future, so that will help me - big drink session was had this Saturday at a family party, that was my last for a long time.

Theres me planning on drinking less this year, but then I joined the local darts team and have been drinking more than ever before! Sad

Im really up for it now, with summer on its way, new bike built and renewed enthusiasm for getting fit for the enduro.

Im motivated!

resim