This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To tube or not to tube - that is the question
Following on from the wheel thread i thought a new topic would help stop it going off topic.

I like tubeless and in my last upgrade did manage to save some weight going down that route.  They can be a little tricky to set up but not too bad when you get the hang of it.  I'm just about to change tyres on the Whyte so fingers crossed i don't end up eating my words!!  Big Grin

I'm expecting a counter argument from at least one forum member Wink  Feel free to discuss
Too hungry to argue  Big Grin

I will buy tubeless tyres when I wear out the current set. My only experience has been the ones that came with the Zesty (rims are tubeless) but they were gripless so sold instantly and using my old tyres with lightweight tubes has saved me weight anyway. No doubt some decent tubeless tyres will be the same or less weight though so I will investigate when the time comes.

I run 36psi and wouldnt want to go much lower with my weight and ive only had 1 pinch flat in my life so the benefit of running tubeless for me would only really be against thorns. Shame my friend doesnt have tubeless, met him at Bedgebury last weekend, he insisted he had fixed his puncture he found the day before but it was now flat again, fixed, put back in, flat again, then he removed the 2nd thorn he hadnt found before...
"pittgoat" Wrote:I'm expecting a counter argument from at least one forum member Wink

I wonder who that could be?

Im interested in seeing how it works and the benefits - Im a right in assuming you are more or less puncture proof?

At the moment Im struggling to see how a sealed tyre is more or less reliable than a simple inner tube?
You put in goo stuff which self seals small holes, thorns, flint cuts etc however you will eventually get to the point where there isnt enough left to seal at which point you can fit a tube however first remember to remove the tons of thorns still stuck in the tyre Smile

You can run lower pressures without pinch flatting but thats not relevant for me as mentioned above.
Arnt tubeless tyres heavier than standard tyres? - therefore negating the point and therefore making them the same weight as a standard tyre + tube?
In my limited experience yes.

2.2" Continental Race Kings 700g
2.3" Continental Speed Kings 540g + 100g XC innertubes = 640g

Plus the race kings came up small. Bizarrely there was no sealant in them from the factory which seems a bit pointless, plus they were a bugger to get off due to the tighter/stiffer walls
Stans Eclipse tubeless kits or Stans rims will allow you to put any tyre on the rim you like. On eof the big benefits is running lower pressure gives you more grip as well as a better feel to the terrain. I never once had a puncture in the three years I used the Eclipse tubelss kits. Getting them on for the first time is an arse but doesnt outweigh the benefits. If you change tyres frequently tubless kits are NOT the way to go. IMHO of coarse
Ran tubeless for a year on the Whyte with not a single puncture having ridden over 30 welsh trails, Surrey many times, all 7stanes in Scotland and BBH about 100 times through all 4 seasons including the thorny season...

I did burp some air once when i completely screwed up a large drop off but popped out the old gas cartridge and was on my way again in about a minute...

Grip is better, feel is better and i ran normal tyres with stans sealant that when i change the tyre a few weeks ago was still fluid and fine in the tyre.

As a rule you can save weight too, though the argument over how much 100g matters is another story...

Just do it...  
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
What Mr Nut said +1  ;D
Oh BTW the one time i was forced to run a tube i had 2 flats and boy was i pi$$ed  >Sad