This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracking your race...
Ive been advised once and read elsewhere on another 2 occasions to take a flipchart or whiteboard to write down riders in and out times so preparation is easier(?)

Anyone got any ideas on how this is actually possible? - Purely because 99% of your team are back at camp and will not know your real lap times???

Some discussion I was involved in here>

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopi...t=12596298

A pic of what your camp area will probably look like during the race...

resim

How is your team going to deal with "transitions"?
There's loads of reasons to record your race.
The biggest problem is getting the next rider in the change over area at the right time.  Too early & they get cold/fall aspleep.  Too late & it's their lap that suffers.
Alot of getting this right is knowing the course & people on your team.
When we race we'll know the course type & distance, then with knowledge of other riders you can estimate (guess) how long the will need for a lap.  Your next rider goes to the changeover zone at least 5mins before this guessed time.
Obviously once everyone has done a lap you'll know better, which is another reason for keeping a record of lap times.
You should also agree what happens if the next rider is not in the corral when you complete your stint.

The next reason is personal.  Some races give the team a number, which appears to be the case from the piccies.  When the results are published you need to know your race order to know which time belongs to who.

Lastly & by no means least.  In the middle of the night when you are tired you'll be amased at how difficult remembering "who's next" can be.

We just tend to assign each man a number (1 thro' 4) & ride in that order.  Each man is responsible for noting the depature time of the following rider & recording it when he returns to camp.  We record the lap times from our own bike computers.  If we change the running order then we just note the time of the change & new order.  This way we very rarely have changeover problems & always know who laptime is who's when the results are published.

Hope this helps as this is a really important part of team endurance racing.  Someone must have a handle on the overall strategy and timings otherwise it'll all fall apart!
So my guess is we would need someone down at transition for the first few laps to record the average lap time per rider?

That way when I take 2 hours and Rou take 50mins, we know what to expect... Wink

I think a whiteboard is a must then.

My confusion comes with the camp being far away from transition, unless we camp UP track to see when someone passes us?.

I did have the idea of taking walkie talkies which can easily attach to bike or bag etc and you radio in when at a certain point on the track to get the next rider in?
Your being too specific about it.  If the course is say 10miles & your first rider normally goes at 10mph (ish) he's going to be an hour plus first lap hindrances.  Second man at the changeover at the one hour mark would be fine.  You each should have an idea of your speed over a given distance.  You'll loose a couple of minutes at each changeover anyway, but this is a 24hr race.
Whiteboard, pen & paper, chalk & slate matters not.  Although I'd probably shy away from the chalk & slate in case it rains :'(
Tried the walkytalky thing & so will at least 10 other teams, so all you get is constant babble.  On top of that the rider will probably have to stop, get out the radio, make the call, twice, & then cycle to the finish - You've probably lost your potential gain anyway.
Wtching the masses pass is an idea, but has it's limitations too.  Almost the whole field of riders should pass you within a 2 hour window at any given point on track.  At 3am they all have lights on & you just can't read the race boards.
We just use the departure time on the countdown clock at the timing tent.  Using the example above the first man out would depart at 24hrs & the second at 23hrs.  You know the race starts at midday therefore you know your second man needs to be at the changover for 13:00.  Try to keep all things simple.  The rider out won't care & the rest want to do just that; rest!
It's all about knowing your team.  To do that you need to ride together regulary.  If that's not possible then you just work it our as you go along.
As Tincs says... simple simple simple. Walkie talkies are a nightmare & also assumes that the guy receiving the call understands what you have just said & as soon as it becomes hilly, the reception is poor & the communication is all assumed. I've done two races with walkie talkies & 10 without & theres a reason for that. Not once have we seriously cocked up a change over. Yep, there have been times when people have had to wait 5 minutes for the next rider to turn up & yep I've waited 30minutes for the previous rider to arrive, thats part of the race & over 24 hrs thats not an issue. I'm sure we all have mobile phones should we encounter long time delaying problems on the lap. As Tincs says as soon as the first rider has gone & come back you'll know approximately how long everybody will take on that same lap as long as you've ridden with them before. For example, if Tincs takes 50minutes, I know I'll take 1hr give or take a few minutes, so as long as the next rider gets there after 55minutes the change over will be sweet. The weak factor in this & its inevitable is that it relies on the rider to take note of the time he comes in & thats not easy at 3 o'clock in the morning.. That said, if you know you've come straight from the start finish, you'll also know it takes "x"mins to do the walk so the calcs arnt too difficult.
I'm going to have somebody riding ahead of me at all times, like the man with the flag in front of a model T ford. When I am nearing the change-over my man will sprint ahead and warn of my impending arrival. Then you can get some tea on for me and maybe a crumpet too. anybody who wants to borrow my man is more than welcome, payment is a heavily decorated gingernut / custard cream per lap.
Keep it foolish...
Im going to get a 40ft version of one of these so you can see me anywhere on the course.......

resim
Jesus, a 40ft child.. be afraid, very afraid