This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visual Noise - Stay Focused
It's easy to get distracted when attempting a technical move. It could be those doubtful voices in your head or it could be a visual distraction from close by.

The noises in our heads need to be positive or just shut up and be quiet. We all know positivity and focus to block out any type of noise is key and that negative thoughts kills the game. This can be easier said than done. Here are some tips to keep you on top of where you wanna be.

Biking is as much about mental skill as it is about technical skill. Being focused and remaining focused is absolutely key. Experience and fitness help here. But it is your mind that guides you to stay on or throw you over. Some tips:

• Listen to your body and to your bike. Not your mind whilst riding a tough section. Relax and ride smooth. Pump it
  • Get warmed up and comfortable with your bike before trying anything outside your comfort zone
  • Visual or mental noise generally gets in the way when we are just outside our comfort zone. Hence it is often avoidable as we know naturally know our boundaries and so know where these situations will occur. Hence before anything tricky prepare yourself. To do this mentally go through the move before doing it. Try to visualise yourself entering the manoeuvre, completing it and then the feeling coming out the other side. If you think it through before and focus on the point of manoeuvre only whilst doing it you are less likely to let thoughts or visual noise get in the way during the move. Top athletes in all sports prepare themselves mentally before performing. A goalie kicking a penalty visualises the ball going into the goal before he sets off and shoots. Visualise yourself and you are 90% there.
    Focus on the point of action and keep focussed on it. Block out all else. It is your mind. you are in the driving seat so take control.
  • Once you have mastered a new manoeuvre - Do it again until it moves into your comfort zone and now do something better.
  • If you get feedback after a move and are going back to do it again (especially if you wiped out). Let the feedback absorb and turn it into an action plan prior to doing the move again. Visualise yourself again from start to finish. Focusing on your action plan only not the feedback.
  • A bit of fear is good. It pumps adrenalin through your body and so makes you more alert. A little fear is nothing to fear.
  • Stay focused, breath, be smooth, and never forget that 90% of the time (with the exception of really steep rocky slabs) speed truly is your friend.
  • It really helps to repeat these words over in your head again and again "I can do it, I can do it"
  • Focus. Do it. You know you can.
What you say about biking being a lot about mental "skill" has really been obvious for me on all my rides this year.

For some odd reason I've developed "the fear".  Last October I felt I was riding better than I ever have done, over the winter I spent a lot of time in the gym and improved my cardio fitness so expected to hit the trails running this year.  I havent at all, I've gone backwards and I have no idea why.  It's really frustrating because I've been able to get to some amazing places for the first time this year and I just havent got the best out of them.

In October 08 I had a superb ride up at Surrey, sessioning lots of bits on Barry Knows best and really going faster and smoother than ever.  March 09 I go there and I just bottle everything, drops I've done 100 times and I just slam the brakes on and stop.

It's really odd.  I've had a fair few crashes this year and every time I've crashed I've been having negative thoughts, being over cautious and going too slow.  Last year my attitude was "f@ck the brakes, let's see what happens" but now my head is going "Stop stop stop you'll crash" and, of course, I crash  ;D

I'd really like to get out on a sketchy ride with some experienced riders to push me a bit and enable me to learn from watching how it should be done, but time is hard to come by when you've got wife and kids in tow...
"dawg08" Wrote:but time is hard to come by when you've got wife and kids in tow...

Tell me about it mate  Wink its hard work towing them behind  Tongue

When me and Buzz have sessioned a few bits i have been running into the jump/drop  thinking "what if i crash" "what if after this jump i will never walk again" . If you are having these thoughts when practicing STOP go back to the start and see your self doing it, close your eyes and visualise doing it, you may look silly but once you clear it who cares  ;D. In fact one very sketchy section that Me Buzz and Treehugger was looking at in Surrey Hills. I mental ran through it in my head much to Treehuggers amusement. after i did that i cleared it straight away.
I have the rather bad issue that I often only visualise the worse whether its on my bike or competing in my car. I see no good of visualising a crash into a tyre wall but I can't stop myself doing it but then im a pessimist so perhaps its related to that. I have been doing a few more small jumps at my regular places this year. One I wasnt sure of so in the end I followed my friend in so I knew the speed and as with most of the others, it was a total piece of p1ss so I went and did about 4 more times straight away by myself!

I didnt do drop offs for years as I fell down about 10 metres when I bottled one too late when in my teens and luckily the bike just missed me. Likewise as I couldnt ride for 18 months when I did my collar bone, I am far more cautious about trees now. I slammed into one with my other collar bone on Sunday but luckily I was only going at walking speed at the time.

OT: Have you got new forks yet? As soon as they are sorted we can go to Bedgebury or somewhere, evenings are good still if you are ever out of work early as you dont normally get back till late, why do you work in London again heh?
Dawg there is a ride on the 12th at Surrey hills, should be earlyish so is family freindly. your more than welcome to join us.
"Breezer" Wrote:!I didnt do drop offs for years as I fell down about 10 metres

OT: Have you got new forks yet? As soon as they are sorted we can go to Bedgebury or somewhere, evenings are good still if you are ever out of work early as you dont normally get back till late, why do you work in London again heh?

10 Metres ?  Jesus that's one hell of a drop ?  

Forks still broken since end of May, June was the Garda trip so no spare cash, but this weekend I am going to get the bike to the shop and grimace when told of the damage.  Going for repair rather than replace as I just cant afford anything else.  I think it's going to be £100 at least  Sad

Why do I work in London ?  Ã‚£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£ ;D

Yes I'm bitching about  spending £100 on Forks, but that's cause most of my cash goes on the family and the house, what I get as my own disposable income is way less than what I had when I was about 22  Tongue
Actually thats a serious exageration thinking about it lol but was at least 5 now I picture it so still hurt, Raliegh Apex FTW!

You might be better off getting some 2nd hand forks as Marzocchies really arent the most reliable ones out there. Im sure you could get some 2nd hand in good condition Tora's or whatever the one below Rebas are for £100, air ones not the heavier coils
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:Dawg there is a ride on the 12th at Surrey hills, should be earlyish so is family freindly. your more than welcome to join us.

That sounds good, if I can get the forks fixed up in time for that and get a pass from the wife ; )  I will be there !  My main worry about a delay is that the component for the forks might be hard to come by.  When I broke them in afan the guys at the workshop there didnt have the replacement cartridge that goes inside the fork and that's what's knackered.  I figure if they didnt have one there where they have a hire fleet of Kona Dawgs, my LBS who are a Cube dealer, are not going to have the spare !  Depends how long it takes to get them fixed but the 12th would be good.

Back on Topic :

What you say earlier about visualising the move before you make it I understand completely.  Thing is, I'm not talking about tackling something new, I'm talking about a trail I've done over and over.  I know it, I know where the drop is, I've ridden the drop, I know I can ride the drop.  Last time I was there, my mate and I were sessioning it, taking different lines and taking photos.  I get there in March and BANG the brakes go on.  It's weird.

Even at Bedgebury of all places I know I'm not as fast as I have been on some of the downhills, ultra frustrating as I am WAY faster on the uphills than I was (Tho by no means fit or fast by the standards of the better guys on here)

Oh well, I'll either get over it or just ride different stuff, no point in forcing yourself down stuff that scares you cause where's the fun in that ?  I only ride to put a smile on my face, not to prove my manhood  Tongue
Weird that you now cant do it. Perhaps try following your friend in, lower your saddle so you can move around a bit more so you feel more comfortable, do it with no camelbak on so less things distracting you etc. For drops and little jumps I try to take note of something on them, a mark or whatever which I then aim for as thats the line I want to take.
"Breezer" Wrote:Actually thats a serious exageration thinking about it lol but was at least 5 now I picture it so still hurt, Raliegh Apex FTW!

You might be better off getting some 2nd hand forks as Marzocchies really arent the most reliable ones out there. Im sure you could get some 2nd hand in good condition Tora's or whatever the one below Rebas are for £100, air ones not the heavier coils

Pffft, the drops always get bigger when you're "remembering" them.  I rode my old rigid trek around Box hill and Leith hill and you look back on it and wonder how you ever did any of it without suspension and brakes that actually worked with a bit of mud on them !

I hear what you say about the Marzocchi, the Kona Dawg fleet at Afan ALL have had the Marzocchi's replaced, mostly with Toras.  Thing about 2nd hand is where I get the fuggers from ?  I mean I want the bike fixed up ASAP really, and hunting around ebay and farting about could be a pain.  Shame cause I NEARLY had a pair of 2nd hand Toras at Afan, the guy in the shop was flogging them, but he was a short arse and the forks had been cut down to fit his bike and just wouldnt be any use to me...