This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
commencal meta 5 sizing?
Hey guys, i have the opportunity to get a new meta 5 for a great price. Just wondering about sizing....I'm 6ft and I'm on a medium trance x frame at the moment, reason being i prefer a smaller frame for descents and chucking it around etc. However i don't want to be massively cramped on the way up!

i know a couple of guys on here ride the meta's so wondering if you could give me some insight on your height and size bike and how it feels?

I understand the seat tube is very slack so the 22 1/2 top tube on the medium would change dramatically as i put the seat up? The trance is 23" and i'mrunning a 110mm stem and this seems a fair bit too long really, so much so that i was considering a shorter stem! So i'm hoping a medium would be big enough?

Hugh
Hi Hugh,

Im 5'9 and ride a medium with a 70mm stem and it is perfect. the bike is very chuckable. If you ever get to Surrey Hills you could go in the shop there (head for the hills) as they may have a large and medium frame you could try.
Ive got a medium and im 5'11. Your right the top tube is very short and alot of people comment on how small the cockpit is but thats what makes the meta so chuckable. 6ft is just on the limit between a medium and a large, your best bet is to search on the commencal owners forum and your get loads of threads up about sizing. I recall when i was researching on sizing that alot of 6fters have mediums as they prefer a smaller frame the slack seat tube does help in this matter.

Id chuck the 110mm stem away regardless of sizing, i run a 70mm stem and it speeds the stearing up loads, also helps to keep your weight further back.

Im riding tomorrow or tues/weds next week so your welcome to have ago on mine. Mines an 08 but marks 09 is a medium and they feel the same size.

oh and i had a medium trance frame.
Thanks for the help guy's, v helpful. Sounds like i will be ok on a medium then. Off to Afan mid week next week so not sure what to do! Might just go for it and hope for the best! Big Grin

Wanted one since i first saw them but not sure if i really want to part with my giant trance x frame Undecided
How many bike have you had this year Hugh, i'v lost count Wink  I'd keep the Trance if you can afford to run 2 bikes, as iirc it is a fair bit lighter than the Commie so could be better for XC type riding?
"Treehugger" Wrote:How many bike have you had this year Hugh, i'v lost count Wink  I'd keep the Trance if you can afford to run 2 bikes, as iirc it is a fair bit lighter than the Commie so could be better for XC type riding?

had the trance then this trance x  Big Grin. I do like to change stuff about. Forks have been the worst thing though...i've ran about 5 different sets since the start of the year and have some new maxle revelations on the way! Big Grin
I am most likely ging to keep the giant but can get a new 09 commie frame with guarantee for £600 delivered so was very tempted as i have wanted one since i saw them!
Can't afford two bikes so one bike has to do it all! To be honest the giant is spot on and and rides lovely, it'll handle everything i'll throw at it i'm sure but would like a commie. Selling the giant would be the deciding factor anyway and that would be have to happen very quickly as there is only one frame available  Sad

Hugh
ok guy's, well i've now sold the trance x so the meta 5 is all go! I had a sit on a couple at Afan the other week and found the large to be about right. As far as i can tell from a bit of research i've done,all my parts should fit!, just got to order a shim for the front mech and buy a new cable set!
I've seen a lot of people using fully sealed gear cables with one piece outer's, what gear cable are you guy's running? Will i have to do any mods to the frame on the 09 to fit a one piece outer?

Hugh
You will have to drill out the gear stops to use a full outer, ive done it on 2 frames and it is well worth doing for slick shifting.

I hope you have a warranty, my second frame has a large crack in the toptube and i sent it back to commencal today. Looking at getting a meta6 as a replaement or selling the 3rd warranty replacement and getting a Orange Alpine
"Buzz" Wrote:You will have to drill out the gear stops to use a full outer, ive done it on 2 frames and it is well worth doing for slick shifting.

I hope you have a warranty, my second frame has a large crack in the toptube and i sent it back to commencal today. Looking at getting a meta6 as a replaement or selling the 3rd warranty replacement and getting a Orange Alpine

:o another one ... do you eat them or something russ
yeh, not bought it yet but will be going for new one. I've also be looking at other frames, really like the orange 5 but can't afford it if I'm being realistic and not many come up second hand!