This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
multi tools
What multi tool do you take on the trail and would you reccomend it?
Mines a tescos special but its a couple of years old and yes you should take one heh. The only thing it doesnt have is a torx bit for disc rotor bolts but I have one of them on another tool. Normally cheaper multi tools or allen keys round off easily but this has been ok so far. If they have a chain splitter on they tend to be mainly useless so I wouldnt bother getting one that has one and buy a decent seperate one. Never needed to use mine on a ride but you never know...
i have the Alien II multi tool, but they now have the alien III  :o
3 riders on okish hardtails stopped us in Friston last night and asked if they could borrow some allen keys to do up various bits of their bikes, thanked us then procedded to ride down the rest of the main downhill run with no helmets.....
I use a specialized one (cant recall name/model) but its bulletproof and has saved me a few times on the trail.

Never go on a ride without one.

I think the leader of the pack is the Topeak Alien from all the reviews - not cheap, but probably never need another one again.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=topeak+alien&hl=en

I also have this from Deal Extreme
resim
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4724

Its only about £3 delivered but its rock solid and has probably saved me MORE times than my multi tool - its very small and the pliers and knife prove useful in the field - for about £3 you cannot go wrong - can cut a gear cable in an emergency no problem. It also opens beer bottles  Wink
I've been looking at these

Park rescue tool mtb7.    Ã‚£16.00 delivered
Crank bros multi 19.        Ã‚£20.00 delivered
Park tool ib3c I-beam.     £22.00 delivered

I don't want to spend the earth because of my job I pretty much have every tool you can think of in the garage or van so it will just be staying in my back pack
"BMJBOY" Wrote:It also opens beer bottles  Wink

I carry a real bottle opener for this!  Big Grin
"leadbasher" Wrote:I've been looking at these

Park rescue tool mtb7.    Ã‚£16.00 delivered
Crank bros multi 19.        Ã‚£20.00 delivered
Park tool ib3c I-beam.     £22.00 delivered

I don't want to spend the earth because of my job I pretty much have every tool you can think of in the garage or van so it will just be staying in my back pack

In your case, having all the tools you'll need i'd suggest that £20 is to much. Get yourself a Tesco on. Mine is years old and i got it free with a mag and it does me fine!
I have an Ice Toolz one.  Solid as a rock and less than a tenner delivered from eBay when i bought it
i got my topeak one from halfords when i got the bike ... still serving me well and it comes with a torx 25 bit !