This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade wheels, chainset, brakes???
Hey guy's, looking to upgrade my bike a little more. I'm riding aggressive singletrack with small jumps and drops on quite rough ground.

Wheels: I've been looking at either some 09 mavic crossrides or xt hubs (m775) on mavic 717 rims with DT black d/b spokes or the previous build with slx hubs.
I have chosen center lock for not as that's what i currently have but depending on brake choice it may change to 6 bolt. What would be best? I'm looking for something strong yet reasonably light and fast rolling.

Chainset: Looking at deore hollowtech II cranks, currently have alivio but i'm wondering if i should spend the extra and get either slx or xt? Again looking for low weight and strength.

Brakes: Have been offered some practically new hope mono mini 08's by a mate, i do like them but he's after about £140-150 for the set and i can get hayes stroker trials for £130 a set new or slx for a little more. I'm looking for good bite and modulation. I always ran hope mono trials when i rode trials so kinda have a preference to hope but my current very basic shimano's work ok so open to new brands!

Also bare in mind that my current wheels, chainset and brakes work ok (not amazing but get the job done) at the moment but i would like to have upgraded kit if it will improve performance a noticeable amount. Is it all worth doing or should i wait until bits brake?

Thanks

Hugh
I switched to the SLX drivetrain 3 months ago. The chainset (I have the tripple) is stunningly good. Strong, light, cheap and it looks great.
I just upgraded to the XT chainset, was a little more than the SLX, but i like the XT stuff and already had the shifters and decided that if i got the SLX i would spend time wishing i had stumped up the extra 30 quid for XT. I can say it is lush, i now have a full XT drivetrain and the shifting and drive is sublime. You can feel the stiffness in the cranks over my old truvativ set and i actually notice the bike accelerate when i hit the pedals hard.

I went for the XT hubs on DT Swiss rims, but from the riding you are doing maybe the 71nine from mavic would be better than the 717... If you are gonna do bigger drops as you get better you might want something a little beefier. There is a really good thread on BR on the maintenance section about how the strength of a wheel comes from the spokes and the spoke tension. so upgrade the spokes and get a reputable build...
Ive got a XT crankset now (since Xmas), personally havn't felt the extra performance, but they are way lighter than my stock offering which was on the Giant and with the new BB, maintenance should be easier.

Ive just ordered the same as Legless for wheels, DT4.1 on XT Hubs - I only do XC but plan to chuck myself down Afan when and as much as I can. The DT rims are just as light a 717's but quite a bit stronger from my research.
Hey guy's, well thanks for the advice. In the end i got some practically new (2 ride old) hope mono mini's and Mavic cross ride wheels (2 ride old) off a friend for Silly cheap so i'm happy! I'm going to wait out on the chainset and replace it before the summer (if we get one).

Thanks

Hugh