This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what adapter
hi all
on my bike ive got suntour forks with a tektro disc brake and a 180mm rotor i wana upgrade to a 203 or abit bigger if poss what do i need to do it? also can i upgrade my 160mm rear to a larger one
don't do it, your tektros are cable pull aren't they? 180mm are totally adequate for the front and you'll gain weight and very little stopping power through a larger rear. Doesn't the rear lock easily enough anyway?
Keep it foolish...
as i understand it 203mm rotors are not covered by the fork

putting 203mm rotors on the fork may cause fork failure and a case of teeth meet stem  Big Grin

for the back i would agree with giantalkali my 160mm rotors lock the back rear up easily , so whats the point splashing out for a bigger rotor if its only going to lock the back wheel up faster
You wait till TreeHugger hears you knocking 203mm rear rotors.....  you'll be for it Wink
my tektro are hydro.   from what i read it said  the largest rotor 4 my fork was 180 but i just thought that was coz of the mount n u cud just buy an adapter to pull the caliper further away.  the reason im after changing is they dnt seem as powerfull as my old v brakes so i thought a bigger rotor would do it
I know, but he is significantly faster than me, as I discovered to my dismay last night. Nick too it turns out...
Keep it foolish...
"chris_tdi" Wrote:my tektro are hydro.   from what i read it said  the largest rotor 4 my fork was 180 but i just thought that was coz of the mount n u cud just buy an adapter to pull the caliper further away.  the reason im after changing is they dnt seem as powerfull as my old v brakes so i thought a bigger rotor would do it

hydro should be waaay better than your v brakes, even my old cable pull discs make v's feel puny. It's not a prob with your disc size, take a look at the adjustment or maybe air in the hydro line?
Keep it foolish...
Steves point is a serious and correct one. I 99.9% doubt the fork is warranted for use with a rotor larger than 180mm which means they deem it unsafe to do so and it would be very foolish and potentially lethal if you were to do it!!!!

If you are light you can get away with 160 front and rear, I run a 160 on the back and can 1 finger lockup, likewise I can stoppie quite happily with a 183 on the front

No cable disc brakes are that good except the Avid ball bearing ones which are ok. As hydraulics go, Tektros are low end cheap ones so if you are looking for a fair bit more performance I would look to spending £100 or so on some new ones such as Avid Juicy 3's or the new Shimano Deore's,
Well set up v brakes are just as powerful as decent discs, I can 1 finger endo my Breezer no problem with its XT ones. V brakes just have so many issues like fade, no good in the wet, no modulation etc. Correctly bedding in disc brakes can make a vast difference and if you ever get anything like wd40 on the pads and dont go off and drag the brakes and do tons of hard stops to heat them up and burn it off, the pads will be shot and useless and need replacing.
i had th every first xt v brakes with the old avid speed dial levers loved them so much power n very controlable i thought.  i got tektro on this bike but on my gt i had that had haynes xc9 which i wudnt have thought would be low end and they was the  same as these.  i cant even do a stoppie with thtem how do u go about bedding  the brakes in then??? i always thought it was just a abit of braking hard and job done