This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend me a brake
Preferably gotta be not overly expensive for a set but I guess I should spend a little money to get something decent.

Key requirements:
Not shite
Actually work
Not noisy
Remote possibility of changing brake pads
Pistons not made of cheese

So in summary.. NOT Hayes Nine's

So, recommend me a brake set...

And fyi.. I've heard alot of bad stuff about Juicy 5's and 7's, so am abit weary of them to say the least.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Funny, I hear things about Juicy 5's, but I've got 'em and, as you probably noticed, I do very little maintance on my bike and I've never had any problems with mine (apart from not being put together correctly by C RC >Sad)
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:Preferably gotta be not overly expensive for a set but I guess I should spend a little money to get something decent.

Key requirements:
Not shite
Actually work
Not noisy
Remote possibility of changing brake pads
Pistons not made of cheese

So in summary.. NOT Hayes Nine's

So, recommend me a brake set...

And fyi.. I've heard alot of bad stuff about Juicy 5's and 7's, so am abit weary of them to say the least.

Ive never had a problem with my auriga's ... you can pick up a set of pro's for £100 front and rear 180 mm ! they must be the one thing on my bike that hasent broken :B so must be good Big Grin

i have no experience with any other brakes ... my auriga's just work ... plain and simple
My carbon 7s are great too, cindy crawford said so!

Clocks ticking ay for the enduro otherwise singletrackworld is your oyster.

A fair few Of us here run avids, they're an anus to bleed but fairly maintenance free and sharp with good modulation
I wont have new ones in time for the enduro, no chance!

I'm thinking about bringing the spesh, but am unsure of how well I'll last riding a HT, especially if it's like fowlmead, in which case I'll be useless after 1 lap.

Failing that I'll ride with only the front brake if Steve's brake don't fit, to which is my only option atm
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Riding with one brake would be foolish IMHO. If theres a fast damp grassy descent you'll be fecked, especially after going thro the fence at the bottom.   :o
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:I wont have new ones in time for the enduro, no chance!

I'm thinking about bringing the spesh, but am unsure of how well I'll last riding a HT, especially if it's like fowlmead, in which case I'll be useless after 1 lap.

Failing that I'll ride with only the front brake if Steve's brake don't fit, to which is my only option atm

tredz will do you a set of auriga pro's and deliver them next day for £110 ?

i would imagine a HT will be hell ... at the end of the 24 hours your arse will be as sore as ... well a arse thats been smashed by a saddle for a long time Big Grin

IIRC my hose (oh-er again!) is quite long
would you like 2 sets of brand new superstar hayes nine pads? ill bring them to the enduro
"Buzz" Wrote:would you like 2 sets of brand new superstar hayes nine pads? ill bring them to the enduro

thats what he had problems with i do believe ! and now his brake has fallen apart
Tough one Jon - so many options:

Shimano XT / SLX / LX (used XT and LX.  Both good stopping but not the best modulation of the brakes i've tried)
Avid Juicy 3 / 5 / 7 (used 3s and they were good but were noisy on the carbon frame)
Avid Elixir (my breaks which i think are pretty good)
Formula, Hope, higher end Hayes etc

Someone will recommend any of those and someone else will tell you to steer clear of any / all of them.  I reckon they'd all do a job so it depends on your budget...