This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ay Ups - Any good?
Hi All, new on here so be gentle!

Getting back into the MTb'ing again after a few years lay off and just bought a nice shiny FSR Elite and now want to get some lights to go on it. Shopped around a bit and a friend recommended Ay Ups to me. Looking at the site you seem to get a hell of a lot for the money and loads of reviews sing their praises.

Anyone got any? Are they are good as they are supposed to be?

Cheers in advance!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
They got good reviews last winter. Not the brightest out there but the £250 odd pack iirc came with bar and helmet ones and the battery life was almost 6 hours. The cheaper £150 pack bar only coupled with a head torch could be an option.

For some reason they only sell from Australia now. I went to their UK site a few weeks back and they said they were no longer selling them and it now doesnt work so you have to go http://www.ayup.com.au/nz-shop-kits.html  instead so factor in exchange rates and possible customs fleecing

May be simpler to buy something like a Hope which I think laggingbehind or someone else on here can get a discount on and is cheaper than Wiggle/CRC etc
Looking at their worldwide prices and then currency converting with vat etc its about £260 so taking into account possible hassle if they go wrong I would go for one of these which via the forum member who I forget now (heh) can be  had for £240 ish and they are much brighter http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Hope_V...360035060/
Thanks Breezer, the new MTb pack they sell comes with 12hours worth of batteries now so this is one of the draws as Im planning on a a few enduros over the next 12 months or so (Cheddar in Sept)

I guess my best bet is to actually get into some shops and have a look but these seem to be an excellent package, albeit not perhaps the best, for the money and flexibility they offer.
The Ay-ups "where" the light of choice over the 2008 winter period, but spending that much money with a company around the other side of the world isnt ideal (as they could go wrong)

As you may know, most of us are just back from the Bontrager 24/12 and Hope lights where very popular - they're a UK company, and their customer support is second to none.

If I had the choice again (and the cash) I'd invest in a Hope setup.

As you may know, theres a million and one combinations of lighting options, limited only by your budget  -what price do you have in mind for spending?
Id be looking up to about £250 absolute max. The distance thing worried me and is about the only thing thats stopped me getting the credit card already. Everything about them seems spot on, nice and compact, multiple mounts, batteries, good burn time etc. You dont seem to get close with any other manufacturer on all these across the board. The hope vision 4 was the last light I was pondering before finding the Ay Ups. If anyone can direct me to the forum member who can supply these cheaper I may well be tempted!

Thanks for the help and advice so far guys.  Smile
Laggingbehind is your man - but I understand he'll need  to order a few to get any "proper" discounts.

PM him, he'll advise either way.

Ay-ups do look good, its just that "sods law" niggle in the back of my head at the moment would make me spend elsewhere to avoid problems.

You're other option would be to trawl Singlertrackworld's Classified Ads - always lights cropping up on there.
Cheers, Ive emailed Ay Up to find out about their warranty and replacement to non-domestic customers so ill let you know what the outcome is as Im still heavily drawn to them just for the all round capabilities and value for money. Ill investigate the Hopes as well and I know a mate of mine may well be interested in aquiring a second Hope as well.
Exposure lights are great but might top your budget for a decent bar and helmet set.  Very compact though - no cables to worry about.
Not that i like to encourage this sort of thing....

I bought a Hope LED 4 second hand cheap as the battery was playing up.... sent it to Hope who fixed it for free....   job done
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />