This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guardian MTB Route guide
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/interactive/2009/jul/22/mountain-bike-trails-cycling-uk">http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/intera ... cycling-uk</a><!-- m -->

Anyone seen this ?

Some of the trail descriptions are "interesting"  like this one from the Surrey section:

A really technical steep, rooty uphill birngs you to the tower on top of Leith Hill. Straight down the other side, cross the road, drop down the trail past the farm on your right, go past the cricket pitch on your left, cross the next road and you're at Barry Knows Best

Eh ?  Is that really going to get you from Leith Hill Tower to the reservoir at Holmbury hill ?  It makes it sound as if BKB is about a 5 minute trundle from the top of Leith Hill, no mention of having to climb Holmbury hill to get to BKB, it's just there, right next to the cricket pitch.  Anyone seen a cricket pitch up there ?  I've seen one on Leith Hill but not Holmbury.

It also states that the singletrack at Coed Y Brenin is "smooth and technical"  Surely that's a contradiction in terms, not to mention the fact that a lot of the trails there are bloody rock and not smooth by any means !

I read a similar peice in another broadsheet (though I forget which one) a few weeks back.  It covered Afan and a few other places, and the way it breezily extolled the virtues of the Skyline, you'd think I could pop down there with my wife and kids and have us all whizz round it in a couple of hours.  I wonder how many "entry level" riders have read stuff like this and gone to Glyncorrwg, started the climb and wondered if they'd gone to the wrong planet by mistake ?
ahaha if only it was just that easy to get between the two hills ahahaha
Ha! - Heres Afan!

"You have four trails to choose from when you come to Afan Forest. But arguably the best is White's Level leading out from Glyncorrwg. The 7km climb up isn't even a slog because it treads the fine balance between technicality and fitness which makes it an interesting challenge rather than a pain in the proverbials.
Once you're at the top, the only way is down. You could savour the descent but it is best done at speed and agressively. The route takes you through a terrain park called Energy and a section of North Shore to test your balance. The only thing it lacks is the 2km of sweet downhill which ends the other route from Glyncorrwg - Skyline. But not bad for a day's work"

Wrong, they have fairly similar decents... infact they are are practically next to each other IIRC.

Whites isnt a days work either, even if you walk it.

Obviously written by someone whos never been.

Theres easily 2km of DH at the end of Whites, probably more if I could remember it.  Skyline has nearer 6km, but after a sh*tload of climbing, fireroad, climbing, fireroad, climbing.
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Obviously written by someone whos never been.

My thoughts exactly.  

The Glentress one is labelled "7 Stanes" as if all the 7 Stanes rides are at Glentress too.  I just wonder who this information is for ?  I'm not exactly "hardcore" in the sport yet I found far better information than this through friends & the web as I graduated from flat muddy tracks in the woods to trail centres and the like.  If it's aimed at real novices then it's just going to get them completely lost and/or out of their depth.
Lol is anyone really surprised, it's the Guardian Big Grin  Great that they are trying to get more people into MTB'ing, but would be good if they let somebody that has the faintest idea what they are talking about write the blood article :Smile
Nothing wrong with the Guardian mate.  Don't tell me you're a Daily Mail reader? Wink

Em forwarded that to me a couple of weeks back and i had a quick look but dismissed it as all being far too high level to take any real info from.  Was nice to see i'd ridden about half the trails though  8)
Someone at work had a copy of the Sun yesterday. I had a quick nose and I think I lost 13% of by brain power by the end. Strangely it took me a lot longer to read one page than all the others combined.
&quot;pittgoat&quot; Wrote:Nothing wrong with the Guardian mate.  Don't tell me you're a Daily Mail reader? Wink

Em forwarded that to me a couple of weeks back and i had a quick look but dismissed it as all being far too high level to take any real info from.  Was nice to see i'd ridden about half the trails though  8)
I don't usually read any papers as generally they are full of crap. Anyway, i have the radio on 8 hours a day so the last thing i want to do when i'm not working is read more news!